Training physicians for public health careers [electronic resource] / Committee on Training Physicians for Public Health Careers, Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice ; Lyla M. Hernandez and A. Wezi Munthali, editors
- Washington, DC : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 121 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Hernandez, Lyla M., Munthali, A. Wezi, and Institute of Medicine (U.S.). Committee on Training Physicians for Public Health Careers
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Fundamentals: The Health of the Public Is Threatened -- Public Health in the United States -- The Current State of Public Health Structure and Practice -- Physicians and the Nature of Public Health Practice -- Physician Contributions to Public Health -- Context -- Conclusion -- References -- 2.Physicians in Public Health: Their Roles, Knowledge Needed, and Numbers -- Roles and Levels of Engagement -- What Do Physicians Need to Know? -- Number of Public Health Physicians -- How Many Public Health Physicians Are Needed? -- Conclusion and Recommendations -- References -- 3.Physician Training -- Pathways to Public Health Careers -- Changing Trends in Teaching Population Health in Medical Schools -- Public Health Education: Degree Training -- Nondegree Public Health Education and Training -- Supporting Mechanisms -- Credentialing -- How Much Training Is Needed? -- How Many Training Programs Are Needed? -- Conclusion -- References -- 4.Funding -- Current Funding Approaches -- Title VII: A National Training Resource -- Other Federal Funding -- Other Funding Mechanisms -- Recommendations -- Conclusion -- References -- 5.Conclusion -- References -- A.Recommendations from The Future of the Public's Health in the 21st Century -- B.Glossary and Acronyms -- C.Agendas of Open Session Committee Meetings -- D.Committee Biographies -- Table 2.1 Public Health Content Areas for Physician Training -- Table 2.2 Estimated Present and Future Numbers of Physicians in Governmental Public Health Agencies -- Table 3.1 Selected Topics Taught in U.S. Medical Schools, 2004-2005 -- Table 3.2 Number of Preventive Medicine Residents in ACGME-Accredited Programs, Academic Year Ending June 30, 2007 -- Table 3.3 Numbers of EIS Officers (1997 to 2006) and Percentage of Physicians in Each Class -- Table 4.1 Title VII Health Professions Programs Relevant to Physician Training -- Table 4.2 Health Professions Program Funding Levels, FYs 2002 to 2006 -- Figure 1.1 Framework of the report The Future of the Public's Health in the 21st Century -- Figure 2.1 Physician involvement in public health.
- 9780309107600 (pbk.) and 0309107601 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 7903210