The U.S. military [electronic resource] : a basic introduction / Judith Hicks Stiehm
- Stiehm, Judith Hicks, 1935-
- Additional Titles:
- United States military
- London : Taylor & Francis Routledge, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 128 pages) : illustrations
- Cass military studies
- The A, B, Cs -- The services and their missions -- Regular, Reserve, National Guard forces -- Demographics -- Customs and courtesies -- Lifestyle and culture -- Legal bases -- Rank -- Uniforms -- Command structures -- Military specialties -- Compensation and benefits -- Strategy and doctrine -- National security strategy: diplomacy, economic measures, force -- National military strategy: the threat v capabilities -- Service doctrines, service manuals -- The military in action -- Recruitment, training, education -- Planning and research -- Intelligence -- Diplomacy -- Military to military contacts -- Training and advising around the globe -- Uses of the military: humanitarian aid, intervention, surveillance and more -- Conducting war -- Weapons and capabilities -- Nuclear weapons: air and space, on and under the sea, on land -- Primary weapons by service -- Capabilities -- Force protection -- The budget -- Procedures and allocations -- Contracting and outsourcing -- Military sales -- The black budget -- Policy questions for citizens -- The national interest -- Sovereignty -- Duty to protect -- Risk -- International law and ethical requirements (includes torture, civilian casualties) -- Conscription/representativeness -- Service by women, gays and lesbians, non-citizens -- Role of retirees.
- 9781136466151 (electronic bk.), 1136466150 (electronic bk.), 9780203128008 (ebook), and 0203128001 (ebook)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 8020277