Seeing the future with imaging science [electronic resource] : interdisciplinary research team summaries ; Conference, Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center, Irvine, California, November 16-19, 2010 / National Academies Keck Futures Initiative
- Corporate Author:
- National Academies (U.S.). Keck Futures Initiative. Conference (2010 : Irvine, Calif.)
- Additional Titles:
- NAFKI seeing the future with imaging science : interdisciplinary research team summaries
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 128 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Academies (U.S.). Keck Futures Initiative. Imaging Science Steering Committee
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: IDR TEAM SUMMARIES -- Team 1 Develop a method to integrate neuroimaging technologies at different length and time scales -- IDR Team Summary, Group A -- IDR Team Summary, Group B -- Team 2 Identify the mathematical and computational tools that are needed to bring recent insights from theoretical image science and rigorous methods of task-based assessment of image quality into routine use in all areas of imaging -- IDR Team Summary, Group A -- IDR Team Summary, Group B -- Team 3 Develop and validate new methods for detecting and classifying meaningful changes between two images taken at different times or within temporal sequences of images -- IDR Team Summary, Group A -- IDR Team Summary, Group B -- IDR Team Summary, Group C -- Team 4 Develop a telescope or starshade that would allow planetary systems around neighboring stars to be imaged -- Team 5 How can we extend the domain of adaptive optics and adaptive imaging to new application, and how can we objectively compare adaptive and non-adaptive approaches to specific imaging problems? -- Team 6 What are the tools and validation methods required to develop clinically useful non-invasive imaging biomarkers of psychiatric disease? -- Team 7 Find novel ways to use imaging methods to improve the treatment of diseases -- IDR Team Summary, Group A -- IDR Team Summary, Group B -- IDR Team Summary, Group C -- Team 8 Develop image-specialized database tools for data stewardship and system design in large-scale applications -- APPENDIXES -- List of Webcast Tutorials -- Agenda.
- "Imaging science has the power to illuminate regions as remote as distant galaxies, and as close to home as our own bodies. Many of the disciplines that can benefit from imaging share common technical problems, yet researchers often develop ad hoc methods for solving individual tasks without building broader frameworks that could address many scientific problems. At the 2010 National Academies Keck Futures Initiative Conference on Imaging Science, researchers from academia, industry, and government formed 14 interdisciplinary teams created to find a common language and structure for developing new technologies, processing and recovering images, mining imaging data, and visualizing it effectively. The teams spent nine hours over two days exploring diverse challenges at the interface of science, engineering, and medicine. NAKFI Seeing the Future with Imaging Science contains the summaries written by each team. These summaries describe the problem and outline the approach taken, including what research needs to be done to understand the fundamental science behind the challenge, the proposed plan for engineering the application, the reasoning that went into it, and the benefits to society of the problem solution"--Publisher's description.
- 9780309209069 (pbk.) and 0309209064 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 8033371