Music and dance traditions of Ghana : history, performance and teaching / Paschal Yao Younge ; forewords by Daniel Avorgbedor, Komla Amoaku, and Francis Nii-Yartey
- Younge, Paschal Yao
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co., 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 448 pages, 16 pages of plates : illustrations (some color), maps ; 26 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Forewords. African arts in education: theory and practice / Daniel Avorgbedor ; Perspectives on Ghanaian music / Kimla Amoaku -- Perspectives on Ghanaian dances / Francis Nii-Yartey -- Dance-drumming of the Southeastern eves -- Dance-drumming of the Central and Northern Eves -- Dance-drumming of the Gas -- Dance-drumming of the Akans -- Dance-drumming of the Dagbamba -- Songs and percussions scores -- Teaching African music and dance-drumming.
- "The dance and musical traditions of Ghana's four main ethnic groups are covered comprehensively: general concepts of music, dance and performance; cultural perspectives; performance; and form and structure of musical types and dance-drumming ceremonies. Historical, geographical, cultural and social backgrounds of the groups are included. Provides curriculum development, teaching methods, photographs, maps, and musical scores"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780786449927 (softcover : alk. paper) and 0786449926 (softcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 429-437) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8037362