My desk is my castle : exploring personalisation cultures / Uta Brandes & Michael Erlhoff (eds.) ; authors, Nadine Adrian [and others] ; [translation from German into English, Susanne Dickel and Tim Danaher].
- Machine generated contents note: Action Space `Office' -- Research Methodology -- The Places -- Four Representative Business Sectors -- The Clusters -- Little Number Games -- Intercultural Comparison -- Object Worlds as Gender Staging -- Comparative Analysis of the Business Sectors -- The Desk as a Thriller -- Personal Office Upgrades -- The Desk as a Geodesic Space -- King-chung Siu: The Desk as a Miniature World of Events and Identities: Musings from Hong Kong -- Tina Engels-Schwarzpaul: Gobalised Desktop Skirmishes? Reporting from the Colonies -- Visions -- The Concepts of `Public' and `Private' -- Mara E. Martinez Morant: Reflections on Anthropology and Design -- From Chessboards to Monopoly Games -- Anne-Mette Krolmark: The New York Experience -- Potential Practical Design Implications.
- "The desk is a place of work and of action, but it also serves as a place to exhibit personal things and preferences.Thus it always characterizes in two ways a material and symbolic unity. The desk is not only very informative in itself, but also must always be studied and understood in the context of its cultural, gender-specific, and field-related surroundings. The focus of this study is a comparative analysis of the use of desks. Desks in insurance companies, banks, administrative authorities, call centers, and design studios in twelve countries on all continents were studied. This publication presents the results in the form of extensive visual material, empirical analyses, and critical essays. The study was carried out by the Koln International School of Design (KISD) in collaboration with universities in Hong Kong; New York; Seoul; Taipei; Curitiba, Brazil; Pune, India; Auckland; Milan; and Fukuoka, Japan."--
- Office decoration—Psychological aspects
- Work environment—Psychological aspects
- Desks—Psychological aspects
- Interior decoration—Human factors
- Personal space
- Office decoration—Psychological aspects—Pictorial works
- Interior decoration—Human factors—Pictorial works
- Personal space—Pictorial works
- Work environment
- 9783034607742 (softcover : acid free paper) and 3034607741 (softcover : acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 313-317).
View MARC record | catkey: 8041363