The culture of science : how the public relates to science across the globe / edited by Martin W. Bauer, Rajesh Shukla and Nick Allum
- Routledge studies in science, technology and society ; 15
- Machine generated contents note: 3.Attitudes toward Science in France: 1972-2005 / Benoit Godin -- 4.American Public Understanding of Science: 1979-2006 / Daniel Boy -- 5.The Image of Science in Bulgaria and UK, 1992-2005: Does Generation Matter? / Susan Carol Losh -- 6.The Changing Culture of Science across Old Europe: 1989 to 2005 / Valery Todorov / Kristina Petkova -- 7.Knowledge of Science and Technology in Japan: IRT Scores for 1991 and 2001 / Martin W. Bauer -- 8.Adult Scientific Literacy and Its Surveys in China since 1992 / Takuya Matsuura / Kinya Shimizu -- 9.Comparing the Public Understanding of Science across China and Europe / Ke Wang / Fujun Ren / Wei He / Chao Zhang -- 10.Information and Attitudes towards Science and Technology in Iberoamerica / Shukun Tang / Xuan Liu / Martin W. Bauer -- 11.The Science Culture Index (SCI): Construction and Validation / Yurij Castelfranchi / Carmelo Polino -- 12.A Comparative View on Adolescents' Attitudes towards Science / Rajesh Shukla / Martin W. Bauer -- 13.The Sources and Impact of Civic Scientific Literacy / Camilla Schreiner / Svein Sjøberg -- 14.Using Latent Trait Models to Assess Cross-National Scales of the Public's Knowledge about Science and Technology / Jon D. Miller -- 15.Statistical Modelling of Public Understanding of Science / Sally Stares -- 16.The Cultures of Public Understanding of Science Defining Cultural Distance / Anil Rai / Rajesh Shukla -- 17.Beliefs about Astrology across Europe / Gauhar Raza / Surjit Singh -- 18.The Human-Animal Boundary in Switzerland: A Cross-Cultural Perspective / Paul Stoneman / Nick Allum -- 19.Religious Belief and Attitudes about Science in the United States / Fabienne Crettaz Von Roten -- 20.Worldviews and Perceptions of Stem Cell Research across Europe / Gregory Smith / David Masci / Scott Keeter -- 21.Measuring PEP/IS, a New Model for Communicative Effectiveness of Science / Rafael Pardo -- 22.Suggesting Cultural Indicators Derived from Exhibitory Science / Hak-Soo Kim -- 23.Building a Science News Media Barometer-SAPO / Bernard Schiele -- 24.Validating Survey Measures of Scientific Citizenship / Flavia Gouveia / Ana Paula Morales / Sabine Righetti / Yurij Castelfranchi / Carlos Vogt / Rafael Evangelista -- 25.Benchmarking Climate Indicators for Science Communication and Public Engagement across Europe / Niels Mejlgaard / Sally Stares -- 26.Monitoring Science in the Public Sphere: The Case of Italy / Steve Miller.
- "This book offers the first comparative account of the changes and stabilities of public perceptions of science within the US, France, China, Japan, and across Europe over the past few decades. The contributors address the influence of cultural factors; the question of science and religion and its influence on particular developments (e.g. stem cell research); and the demarcation of science from non-science as well as issues including the incommensurability versus cognitive polyphasia and the cognitive (in)tolerance of different systems of knowledge"--
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2011.
View MARC record | catkey: 8047193