After Camelot : a personal history of the Kennedy family 1968 to the present / J. Randy Taraborrelli
- Taraborrelli, J. Randy
- New York : Grand Central Publishing, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 602 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- An unthinkable tragedy -- Jackie. Trying to let go of the past ; An invitation from Rose ; Jackie's' thirty-ninth ; Some enchanted evening ; Jackie : "the Kennedys can't support me forever" ; Negotiating for Jackie -- Eunice. Eunice Kennedy Shriver ; Camp Shriver at Timberlawn ; What happened to Rosemary Kennedy? ; Lobotomy ; Joseph Patrick Kennedy -- Sarge. Sargent Shriver ; "A very good Shriver" ; Bobby Kennedy ; Getting Sargent out of the way ; Torn loyalties ; Questioning LBJ's motives ; The decision is made ; Not meant to be ; Humphrey-Shriver? ; Ted disappoints ; Sargent appeals to Ted -- Ted. "Sick with grief" ; Chappaquiddick ; Ted Kennedy ; Joan Kennedy ; "The end of Camelot" ; Strategizing a way out ; "All people make mistakes -- not just Kennedys" ; Joseph Kennedy dies ; Dealing with the fallout -- Ethel. Ethel Kennedy ; A cross to bear ; Hyannis Port terrors ; Pot bust -- Jackie, Ari, and the Lawfords. Jackie talks to Rose about her new life ; Remembering JFK ; Clinging to each other after Camelot ; Onassis : father figure? ; Jackie and the Secret Service ; A problem like Maria ; Pat and Peter Lawford -- Sargent tries yet again. Always in the way ; Shriver for vice president ; "Same ol' Sarge" -- The third generation in trouble. An accident results in paralysis ; November 1973 : ten years ; Ted Jr.'s cancer ; Hickory Hell? -- Poor Ari. Onassis's many problems ; Jackie and Sinatra ; Ari dies ; Who should represent the Kennedys at the funeral? ; "Let's try to move on with our lives" -- Rosemary and Rose. "We must never give up" ; Rose's precious yesterdays and priceless tomorrows -- Shriver for President. Sarge takes a "leap of faith" ; Stephen and Jean Kennedy Smith ; Yet another disappointment for Sarge -- Ted's 1980 campaign. Ted's presidential decision ; "S.O.S! The elephant is chasing Amy Carter!" ; The Joan factor ; The Roger Mudd interview ; Ted : "the dream never dies" ; End of a marriage -- David's story. "The Kennedy's biggest shame" ; Intervention for David ; Bobby Jr.'s surprising drug bust ; "I love you, Mom. That's all I got" ; A kidnapping attempt at the compound ; Always tomorrow? ; Room 107 ; "Without faith and family, we have nothing" -- Kennedy upheaval. Disagreements about the Kennedy Foundation ; Sarge on the Kennedy curse : "so be it" ; Eunice faces a family revolt ; Peter Lawford dies ; Intervention for Pat -- Caroline, John, and Maurice. Caroline Kennedy ; John Kennedy Jr. ; John and Madonna ; Career girl ; Maurice Tempelsman ; Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver both marry -- William Kennedy Smith and the Palm Beach scandal. Eunice's dire prediction to Ted ; Ted's and Jean's sad memories ; An alleged rape at the Kennedy estate ; Tough love ; Victoria Reggie ; "Mad as hell" ; Ted recognizes his shortcomings ; The William Kennedy Smith trial ; Jean Kennedy Smith : ambassador -- Kennedy wives, old and new. Ted and Vicki marry ; Two very different kinds of Kennedy wives ; The new wife ; Pat's regrets -- Jackie : her final years. "Life goes on" ; Jackie's "bad news" ; No words ; One regret ; Too young to die ; Vigil ; Always Jackie -- John and Carolyn. John Kennedy Jr. at a crossroads ; Carolyn Bessette ; Rose Kennedy dies ; Paparazzi war zone ; John's risky proposition ; George ; John proposes to Carolyn ; Relationship woes ; John and Carolyn marry -- Michael's story. Michael Kennedy's troubles ; "Oh my God, not again!" ; Reckless or accidental? ; Grace under pressure ; "Okay, Lord, the Kennedys have had enough." -- A peaceful time. Ethel's change for the better ; Flynn ; John Kennedy Jr. : running on water -- Camelot loses its prince. Mike Tyson's advice ; "The worst that could happen" ; "Please tell me John's not dead" ; We need a miracle now more than ever" ; A sister's grief ; "Our prince is gone" ; What families do -- Transitions. Rosemary Kennedy : free at last ; An ongoing struggle ; Pat Kennedy Lawford dies ; Ted Kennedy and the Obama endorsement ; Ted's diagnosis ; The troops rally ; "Wise men never try" -- Looking ahead. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend ; The third generation ; Maria Shriver ; Senator Caroline Kennedy? ; Caroline bows out ; No regrets ; Ted : rest in peace.
- In this ambitious and sweeping account, Taraborelli continues the Kennedy family chronicle begun with his bestselling "Jackie, Ethel, Joan" and provides a behind-the-scenes look at the years "after Camelot."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 541-581) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- DuBois copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2011.
View MARC record | catkey: 8048896