Bastards : politics, family, and law in early modern France / Matthew Gerber
- Gerber, Matthew
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 274 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Introduction : illegitimacy and the political history of the family -- Bastardy in sixteenth-century French legal doctrine and practice -- Jurisprudential reform of illegitimacy in seventeenth-century France -- Royal bastardy & dynastic crisis -- State expansion, social practice, and the quandaries of legal unification -- Redefining social interest: the eighteenth-century foundling crisis -- Illegitimacy and legal change in the French Enlightenment.
- 9780199755370 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 019975537X (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 245-263) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8153276