The cultural context of medieval music / Nancy van Deusen
- Van Deusen, Nancy (Nancy Elizabeth)
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : Praeger, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 202 pages : illustrations, music ; 25 cm
- Preface: music, devotion, emotion, and intellection -- Introduction: principles, vocabulary, concepts -- Music in a culture of the mind: a medieval view of resources, material, and composition -- What did this medieval "forest" contain? Preexistent substance, unlimited possibilities -- Music within the context of medieval education -- Silva: inner and outer substance, music, and material culture -- "They all read the same books": a book-bag from antiquity -- Musica disciplina: analogies and explanations -- Music at the forefront of science: the usefulness of medieval music -- Editions: music to sing.
- Music was crucial to the learning process itself in the Middle Ages-and beyond. One learned basic concepts by doing them, and learned them well because music was "delicious" to the taste-a medieval insight that should be reclaimed. --
Nancy van Deusen's The Cultural Context of Medieval Music addresses the mental landscape surrounding music that, especially, was sung and experienced in .the Middle Ages. Largely anonymous in its composition, and apparently lacking the motivation of fame and commerce, music within a well-thought-out system of education served a purpose that goes far beyond casual entertainment or personal professional advancement. Offering experience through performance, music exemplified the basic principles not only of the material and possible measurements of the visible world-such as of objects, relationships, and movement-but also of the invisible materials of sound and time, making it an ideal medium for working with unseen substances such as concepts, imaginations, and ideas. St. Augustine in the late fourth century reinforced the importance of music for the process of learning when he wrote that nothing could be truly understood without music. This book shows how this, in fact, is the case-a message of great relevance today. --Book Jacket.
- 9780275994129 (hardcopy : alk. paper)
0275994120 (hardcopy : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -196) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8155923