North Korean cinema : a history / Johannes Schönherr
- Schönherr, Johannes
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vii, 215 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Introduction -- At the Pyongyang Film Festival -- The early years -- The Korean War (1950-1953) -- The establishment of Juche -- Kim Jong Il enters the scene -- Shin Sang-Ok active in North Korea (1983-1986) -- Shin Sang-Ok's influence on concurrent North Korean Cinema (1984-1986) -- The post-Shin Sang-Ok years (1986-1993) -- Famine and the death of Kim Il Sung (1994-1999) -- The sunshine years (2000-2008) -- Post-sunshine: the most recent productions (2009-2011) -- Ten Zan, an Italian coproduction: Ferdinando Baldi's ultimate mission -- Audience perspectives: interviews with North Korean defectors -- Appendix: original Korean film titles.
- "This volume chronicles the history of North Korean cinema from its beginnings to today, examining the obstacles the film industry faced as well as the many social problems the films themselves reveal. It provides detailed analyses of major and minor films and explores important developments in the industry within the context of the concurrent social and political atmosphere"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780786465262 (softcover : alk. paper)
0786465263 (softcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8162221