Resort to war : a data guide to inter-state, extra-state, intra-state, and non-state wars, 1816-2007 / Meredith Reid Sarkees and Frank Whelon Wayman
- Sarkees, Meredith Reid, 1950-
- Washington, D.C. : CQ Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 691 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Wayman, Frank Whelon
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Correlates of war series
- Introduction : The debate: is war evolving? ; The need for systematic studies of war ; Brief history of the correlates of war project ; Purpose of this work -- 1. The interstate and international systems : Theoretical foundations: state actors in the international system ; Five nested systems ; The correlates of war interstate system ; The international system ; The central system and the major power system -- 2. Defining and categorizing wars / Meredith Reid Sarkees : Defining war and a typology of war ; The initial classification ; An expanded typology of war ; The coding of wars ; Describing inter-state war ; Describing extra-state war ; Describing intra-state war ; Describing non-state war -- 3. The inter-state wars : List of inter-state wars in chronological order ; Individual descriptions of inter-state wars -- Analyzing inter-state wars -- 4. The extra-state wars : List of extra-state wars in chronological order ; Individual descriptions of extra-state wars ; Analyzing extra-state wars -- 5. The intra-state wars / Meredith Reid Sarkees : Defining intra-state war ; Civil wars ; Regional and inter-communal wars ; List of intra-state wars in chronological order ; Individual descriptions of intra-state wars ; Analyzing intra-state wars -- 6. The non-state wars : The non-state wars in chronological order ; Individual descriptions of non-state wars ; Analyzing non-state wars -- 7. What do we know about war? / Meredith Reid Sarkees : War and religion ; War and psychology ; War and philosophy ; New wars? ; A comprehensive view of trends in modern war ; What do the new data tell us? -- Appendix : Chronological list of all wars.
- 9780872894341 (alk. paper) and 0872894347 (alk. paper)
- Description based on surrogate.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8396040