A companion to Augustine [electronic resource] / edited by Mark Vessey ; with the assistance of Shelley Reid
- Blackwell companions to the ancient world
- Introduction : Augustine and company / Mark Vessey -- Political history : the later Roman Empire / Christopher Kelly -- Cultural beography : Roman North Africa / William E. Klingshirn -- Religious sociology : being Christian in the time of Augustine / Éric Rebillard -- Spes saeculi : Augustine's worldly ambition and career / R.S.O. Tomlin -- Love and belonging, loss and netrayal in the Confessions / Kate Cooper -- The Confessions as autobiography / Paula Fredriksen -- Reading the Confessions / Catherine Conybeare -- Augustine and language / Philip Burton -- Augustine's information circuits / Claire Sotinel -- Augustine and Roman public spectacles / Richard Lim -- Augustine and books / Guy Stroumsa -- Augustine and the Latin classics / Danuta Shanzer -- Augustine and the philosophers / Sarah Byers -- Augustine and the books of the Manicheans / Johannes van Oort -- Augustine and scripture / Michael Cameron -- Augustine and His Christian predecessors / Mark Edwards -- Augustine as a reader of his Christian contemporaries / Michael Stuart Williams -- Augustine among the writers of the Church / Mark Vessey -- and Philosopher : Augustine in retirement / Gillian Clark -- Conversationalist and consultant : Augustine in dialogue / Therese Fuhrer -- Mystic and monk : Augustine and the spiritual life / John Peter Kenney -- Preacher : Augustine and his congregation / Hildegund Müller -- Administrator : Augustine in his diocese / Neil B. McLynn -- Controversialist : Augustine in combat / Caroline Humfress -- Augustine on the will / James Wetzel -- Augustine on the body / David G. Hunter -- Augustine on friendship and orthodoxy / Stefan Rebenich -- Augustine on the Church (against the Donatists) / Alexander Evers -- Augustine on the statesman and the two cities / Robert Dodaro -- Augustine on scripture and the Trinity / Sabine MacCormack -- Augustine on redemption / Lewis Ayres -- Augustine's works in circulation / Clemens Weidmann -- Augustine in the West, 430-ca.900 / Conrad Leyser -- Augustine in the western Middle Ages to the Reformation / Eric L. Saak -- Augustine in modern philosophy / Johannes Brachtendorf -- Augustine and postmodernism / John D. Caputo -- Envoi / James J. O'Donnell.
- A Companion to Augustine presents a fresh collection of scholarship by leading academics with a new approach to contextualizing Augustine and his works within the multi-disciplinary field of Late Antiquity, showing Augustine as both a product of the cultural forces of his times and a cultural force in his own right. Discusses the life and works of Augustine within their full historical context, rather than privileging the theological context Presents Augustine’s life, works and leading ideas in the cultural context of the late Roman world, providing a vibrant and engaging sense of August
- 9781118255438 (EBL) and 1118255437 (EBL)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 8510476