Renewable fuel standard [electronic resource] : potential economic and environmental effects of U.S. biofuel policy / Committee on Economic and Environmental Impacts of Increasing Biofuels Production, Board on Agricultural and Natural Resources, Division on Earth and Life Studes ; Board on Energy and Environmental Systems, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences, National Research Council of the National Academies
- Corporate Author:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Economic and Environmental Impacts of Increasing Biofuels Production
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 393 pages : illustrations (some color), color maps ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources
National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Energy and Environmental Systems
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction -- Interest in Biofuels -- Renewable Fuel Standard -- Impetus for Study -- References -- 2.Biofuel Supply Chain -- Food-Based Biofuels -- Nonfood-Based Biofuels -- Other Feedstocks and Processing Technologies in Development -- Conclusion -- References -- 3.Projected Supply of Cellulosic Biomass -- Potential Supply of Biofuel Feedstock and Location of Biorefineries -- Uncertainties about Cellulosic Feedstock Production and Supply -- Conclusion -- References -- 4.The Economics and Economic Effects of Biofuel Production -- Estimating the Potential Price of Cellulosic Biomass -- Primary Market and Production Effects of U.S. Biofuel Policy -- Effects of Biofuel Production on the Balance of Trade -- Budget, Welfare, and Social Value Effects of RFS2 -- Effects of Adjustments to and Interactions with U.S. Biofuel Policy -- Conclusion -- References -- 5.Environmental Effects and Tradeoffs of Biofuels -- Life-Cycle Approach for Assessing Environmental Effects: An Overview -- Greenhouse-Gas Emissions -- Air Quality -- Water Quality -- Water Quantity and Consumptive Water Use -- Effects on Soil -- Biodiversity -- Ecosystem Services -- Regional and Local Environmental Assessments -- Uncertainties about Environmental Effects of Biofuel Production -- Opportunities to Minimize Negative Environmental Effects -- Conclusion -- References -- 6.Barriers to Achieving RFS2 -- Economic Barriers -- Policy Barriers -- Environmental Barriers -- Social Barriers -- Conclusion -- References -- APPENDIXES -- A.Statement of Task -- B.Biographical Sketches -- C.Presentations to the Committee -- D.Glossary -- E.Select Acronyms and Abbreviations -- F.Conversion Factors -- G.Petroleum-Based Fuel Economics -- H.Ethanol Biorefineries in Operation or Under Construction in the United States in 2010 -- I.Biodiesel Refineries in The United States in 2010 -- J.Economic Models Used to Assess the Effects of Biofuel Production in the United States -- K.Biobreak Model: Assumptions for Willingness to Accept -- L.Biobreak Model Assumptions -- M.Summary of Literature Estimates -- N.Blend Wall.
- 9780309187510 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 8517067