Devotional somnium, or, A collection of prayers and exhortations, uttered by Miss Rachel Baker : in the city of New-York, in the winter of 1815, during her abstracted and unconscious state ; to which pious and unprecedented exercises is prefixed, an account of her life, with the manner in which she became powerful in praise to God and addresses to man ; together with a view of that faculty of the human mind which is intermediate between sleeping and waking ; the facts, attested by the most respectable divines, physicians, and literary gentlemen ; and the discourses, correctly noted by clerical stenographers / by several medical gentlemen
- New York : Printed for the proprietor, by S. Marks ..., 1815.
- Physical Description:
- 298, that is, 288 pages : portrait (engraving) ; 20 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Douglass, John H., Clinton, DeWitt, 1769-1828, Kiersted, Henry T., 1793-1882, Marks, Samuel, Jarvis, John Wesley, 1780-1840, Gimbrede, Thomas, 1781-1832, Mitchill, Samuel L. (Samuel Latham), 1764-1831, and Van Winkle and Wiley
- "It is the extent of his pretensions to give to the public, a collection of classified and authenticated facts; most of which are at once new and indubitable. Some extracts are also reprinted from the works of distinguished men in relation to the cause or causes to which such facts are to be attributed. ... "--Introduction, p. 10. Signed: John H. Douglass, M.D. April 21, 1815., Second edition., Dedicated to DeWitt Clinton., Error in pagination: p. 140-149 omitted., Contents the same as those of the edition printed by Van Winkle and Wiley in 1815., Includes (p. 25-106): An arrangement of those parts of the phenomena of the human mind which belong to the function of somnium, a state which is intermediate between waking and sleeping / by Samuel L. Mitchill., Errata at end., Frontispiece portrait of Rachel Baker signed: Jarvis pt. T. Gimbrede sc., Cover imprint: New-York: Printed for the proprietor, by Samuel Marks, 1815. For sale at the principal bookstores, and by the proprietor, H.T. Kiersted, no. 38 Hudson-Street, New-York., and "Books, recently published, and for sale by Van Winkle & Wiley, no. 3 Wall-Street"--cover p. .
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Austin, R.B. Early Amer. medical imprints, 661 and Shaw, R.R. American bibliography, 34567
View MARC record | catkey: 8519329