In pursuit of the unknown [electronic resource] : 17 equations that changed the world / Ian Stewart
- Stewart, Ian, 1945-
- Additional Titles:
- 17 equations that changed the world
- New York : Basic Books, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 342 pages) : illustrations
- Why equations? -- The squaw on the hippopotamus : Pythagoras's theorem -- Shortening the proceedings : logarithms -- Ghosts of departed quantities : calculus -- The system of the world : Newton's law of gravity -- Portent of the ideal world : the scare root of minus one -- Much ado about knotting : Euler's formula for polyhedra -- Patterns of chance : normal distribution -- Good vibrations : wave equation -- Ripples and blips : Fourier transform -- The ascent of humanity : Navier-Stokes equation -- Waves in the ether : Maxwell's equations -- Law and disorder : second law of thermodynamics -- One thing is absolute : relativity -- Quantum weirdness : Schrödinger equation -- Codes, communications, and computers : information theory -- The imbalance of nature : chaos theory -- The Midas formula : Black-Scholes equation -- Where next?
- Acclaimed writer and mathematician Ian Stewart examines the seventeen equations that have revolutionized our thinking and changed the course of history.
- 9780465029747 (electronic bk.)
0465029744 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -330) and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 8621716