Approaches to teaching the works of Robert Louis Stevenson / edited by Caroline McCracken-Flesher
- New York : Modern Language Association of America, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 238 pages ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- McCracken-Flesher, Caroline
- Materials -- Approaches: Stevenson in his place: Scotland, England, the United States, and Samoa (Jenni Calder) -- Scotland: politics, religion, literature (Penny Fielding) -- American literary contexts (Glenda Norquay) -- Stevenson and Scots (J. Derrick McClure) -- The visual culture of Robert Louis Stevenson: face to face (Dennis Denisoff) -- Realism and romance (Scott Hames) -- Modernism (Roderick Watson) -- Colonialism and Postcolonialism (Graham Tulloch) -- Narrative and narratology: the ebb tide of action (Robert L. Caserio) -- Gender and genre (Fiona Wilson) -- The gothic: detection and science fiction (Linda Dryden) -- Travel writing: nonfiction into fiction (Oliver S. Buckton) -- Children's literature (Barbara Chatton) -- The essay and the periodicals (Thomas Richardson) -- Stevenson's Scotland: history and topography in the classrom (Ian Duncan) -- Stevenson as transatlantic romanticism (Susan Oliver) -- Boys' adventure and the allure of violence in the postcolonialsm class: Treasure Island (H. Aram Veeser) -- Exposure and image: a visual approach (Ann C. Colley) -- The Jekyll and Hyde class: overcoming strangeness (Wendy R. Katz) -- Jekyll and Hyde as science fiction (Anne Stiles) -- Stevenson and adaptation: resources and materials (Martin Danahay) -- The Stevenson-Osbourne collaboration (Gordon Hirsch) -- Stevenson's poetry in the Victorian survey (Abigail Burnham Bloom) -- The American journeys in the English survey: breaking down the binaries (Caroline McCracken-Flesher) -- Young adult novels for English secondary education students (Leslie S. Rush) -- The Pacific story and the indigenous student: "The Bottle Imp" and "The Isle of Voices" (Richard J. Hill) -- Stevenson's short stories in the creatinve writing classroom (Alan Riach) -- Stevenson's essays in the composition classroom (Emily A. Bernhard Jackson) -- Classroom and courtroom across the curriculum: The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Dr Hyde (Jason Goldsmith) -- Jekyll and Heidegger: Stevenson in the theory classroom (Matthew Wickman).
- 9781603291217 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1603291210 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9781603291224 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1603291229 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 215-231) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8621741