Bible readers and lay writers in early modern England [electronic resource] : gender and self-definition in an emergent writing culture / Kate Narveson
- Narveson, Kate
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, Vt. : Ashgate, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 235 pages : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- ebrary, Inc
- Material readings in early modern culture
- Reading the Bible: clerical prescriptions and lay reading practices -- The emergence of lay composition -- Application to the self : reading and the restructuring of identity -- Recording identity: scripturalist devotion among ordinary layfolk -- Discursive horizons and the question of gender -- The devotional page and the schoolroom of print -- Grace Mildmay's meditations: love letters from God and their Scriptural authorization.
- 9781409441670 (hardcover alk. paper) and 9781409441687 (e-book)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. : ebrary, 2011. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.
View MARC record | catkey: 8739692