In the company of friends : exploring faith and understanding with Buddhists and Christians / John Ross Carter
- Carter, John Ross
- Albany : State University of New York Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxxiii, 314 pages ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: I.THE QUEST FOR RELIGIOUS UNDERSTANDING WITH THERAVADA, JODO SHINSHU BUDDHISTS, AND CHRISTIANS -- ch. 1 On Understanding Religious Men and Women -- ch. 2 Truth and History in Interreligious Understanding: A Preliminary Inquiry -- ch. 3 Interreligious Understanding as a Religious Quest -- II.THE DYNAMICS OF FAITH AND BEYOND: PERSONALLY AND IN AN EVER EXPANDING COMMUNITY -- ch. 4 Samvega and the Incipient Phase of Faith -- ch. 5 Shinjin: More than "Faith"? -- ch. 6 Celebrating Our Faith -- ch. 7 Colloquia in Faith -- III.CONVERGING AFFIRMATIONS FROM DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES -- ch. 8 "Relying Upon" or "Taking Refuge" as a Genuinely Human Activity -- ch. 9 Love and Compassion as Given -- ch. 10 Toward an Understanding of What Is Inconceivable -- ch. 11 The Arising of Salvific Realization as Buddhists and Christians Have Affirmed -- ch. 12 Relationality in Religious Awareness -- IV.BUILDING FROM OUR PAST INTO OUR COMMON FUTURE -- ch. 13 From Controversy to Understanding: More than a Century of Progress -- ch. 14 Religion and the Imperatives for Development -- ch. 15 Getting First Things First: Some Reflections on a Response by Venerable Ananda Maitreya -- ch. 16 Translational Theology: An Expression of the Faith of Christians in a Religiously Plural World -- ch. 17 Buddhists and Baptists: In Conversation into Our Common Future -- V.THE CHALLENGE OF OUR FUTURE -- ch. 18 Will There Be Faith on Earth?.
- 9781438442792 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1438442793 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8740854