A world of beasts [electronic resource] : a thirteenth-century illustrated Arabic book on animals (the Kitāb Na't al-Ḥayawān) in the Ibn Bakhtīshū' tradition / by Anna Contadini
- Contadini, Anna
- Additional Titles:
- Thirteenth-century illustrated Arabic book on animals (the Kitāb Naʻt al-Ḥayawān) in the Ibn Bakhtīshūʻ tradition
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xii, 209 pages, 56 unnumbered pages of plates) : illustrations (some color), facsimiles
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- Introduction: image and (con)text -- The manuscript -- Text and sources -- The frontispieces and other human figures -- The animals of the Na't -- Composition, iconography and style -- Date and provenance -- Patronage and milieu.
- "The Kitāb Na't al-Ḥayawān is the earliest of a group of illustrated manuscripts dealing with the characteristics of animals and their medicinal uses. The present study considers both the confluence of textual traditions within this work and the stylistic and iconographic relationships of its illustrations, which make it a key witness to early thirteenth-century Arab painting. After a re-evaluation of previous approaches, emphasis is placed on relating image to text, on stylistic affiliations, and on the modalities of production, supported by technical analyses undertaken for the first time. In elucidating the particular context of this unique manuscript, the study contributes to our understanding of a critical period in the development of Middle Eastern painting and art."--Publisher's website.
- 9789004222656 (electronic book), 9789004201002 (hardback : alk. paper), and 9004201009 (hardback : alk. paper)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -192) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8876597