Waging war on corruption : inside the movement fighting the abuse of power / Frank Vogl
- Vogl, Frank, 1945-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 297 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- Waking up -- Corruption crimes -- Victims -- The activists -- Political villains -- Business villains -- Global security -- The new age of transparency : media and research -- Justice and democracy -- Criminalizing bribe paying : it started with Watergate -- Finally, officials embrace anticorruption -- Justice and the demand for good governance -- The G20 sets a bold agenda -- Shaping solutions I -- Shaping solutions II -- Appendix 1: Transparency International's corruption perceptions index 2011 -- Appendix 2: Transparency International's bribe payers' index 2011 -- Appendix 3: Summary highlights from the United Nations Convention Against Corruption -- Appendix 4: Issues related to the Council of Europe's criminal and civil law conventions on corruption -- Appendix 5: Global financial integrity : illicit financial flows -- Appendix 6: Enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention : Trace International and Transparency International surveys.
- "Never before has the call for good governance been greater. The Arab Spring in early 2011 has inspired people all over the world to fight to end the abuse of power by politicians and civic officials and create more transparent, accountable, and honest governments. In Waging War on Corruption: Inside the Movement Fighting the Abuse of Power, Frank Vogl, one of the leaders of the worldwide anticorruption movement, shares a history filled with stories of heroes and victims of corruption. He chronicles the successful campaigns by enormously courageous civil society activists, journalists, and public prosecutors and explains the crucial challenges that now must be confronted. At stake is nothing less than our global security, the reduction of poverty, the stability of our economic and financial systems, and the cause of freedom and democracy. Waging War on Corruption will be of interest to readers of politics and government, business, human rights, and law."--Publisher's website.
- 9781442218529 (cloth : alk. paper) and 1442218525 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8892638