Introduction to seismology [electronic resource] / Peter M. Shearer
- Shearer, Peter M., 1956-
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 396 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Stress and strain -- The seismic wave equation -- Ray theory : travel times -- Inversion of travel time data -- Ray theory : amplitude and phase -- Reflection seismology -- Surface waves and normal modes -- Earthquakes and source theory -- Earthquake prediction -- Instruments, noise, and anisotropy -- Appendix A : The PREM model -- Appendix B : Math review -- Appendix C : The eikonal equation -- Appendix D : Fortran subroutines -- Appendix E : Time series and Fourier transforms.
- Annotation This book provides an approachable and concise introduction to seismic theory, designed as a first course for undergraduate students. It clearly explains the fundamental concepts, emphasizing intuitive understanding over lengthy derivations. Incorporating over 30% new material, this second edition includes all the topics needed for a one-semester course in seismology. Additional material has been added throughout including numerical methods, 3-D ray tracing, earthquake location, attenuation, normal modes, and receiver functions. The chapter on earthquakes and source theory has been extensively revised and enlarged, and now includes details on non-double-couple sources, earthquake scaling, radiated energy, and finite slip inversions. Each chapter includes worked problems and detailed exercises that give students the opportunity to apply the techniques they have learned to compute results of interest and to illustrate the Earth's seismic properties. Computer subroutines and datasets for use in the exercises are available at www.cambridge.org/shearer.
- 9780511841552 (electronic bk.)
9781615832255 (electronic bk.)
1615832254 (electronic bk.)
9780511579363 (electronic bk.)
0511579365 (electronic bk.)
9780511577529 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
0511577524 (electronic bk. : Adobe Digital Editions)
9780511650970 (electronic bk.)
0511650973 (electronic bk.)
9780511580109 (electronic bk.)
051158010X (electronic bk.)
- Previous ed.: 1999.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 377-389) and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2012
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 8996877