Venezuela : a country study / Federal Research Division, Library of Congress ; edited by Richard A. Haggerty
- Additional Titles:
- HeinOnline index title: Country studies, Venezuela
- [Washington, D.C.] : Federal Research Division : For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 
[Buffalo, New York] : William S. Hein & Co., [between 2009 and 2013]
- 4th edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxix, 276 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Additional Creators:
- Haggerty, Richard A., 1954-
Blutstein, Howard I.
Library of Congress. Federal Research Division
- Area handbook series, 1057-5294
DA pam ; 550-71
HeinOnline world constitutions illustrated
- Discovery and conquest -- Spanish colonial rule -- The epic of independence -- A century of caudillismo -- The transition to democratic rule -- The triumph of democracy -- Geography. Topography ; Climate ; Hydrography -- Population dynamics. Population profile ; Migration ; Settlement patterns -- Social structure. The elite ; The middle class ; The peasants ; The workers and the urban lower class -- Ethnic groups -- Modernization, social values, and religion -- Social welfare. Education ; Health and social security -- Growth and structure of the economy -- Economic policy. Fiscal policy ; Monetary and exchange-rate policies -- Labor. Formal sector ; Informal sector -- Agriculture. Land policies ; Land use ; Crops ; Livestock ; Farming technology ; Fishing and forestry -- Energy and industry. Petroleum ; Natural gas and petrochemicals ; Electricity ; Mining ; Manufacturing ; Construction -- Services. Banking and financial services ; Transportation ; Telecommunications ; Tourism -- Foreign economic relations. Foreign trade ; Balance of payments ; Foreign debt ; Foreign assistance -- The governmental system. Constitutional development ; The executive ; The legislature ; The judiciary ; Public administration ; Local government ; The electoral system -- Political dynamics. Political developments since 1958 ; Interest groups and major political actors ; Political parties ; Formal and informal dynamics of public policy ; The mass media -- Foreign relations -- History of the armed forces -- Strategic setting. Venezuela and the United States ; Venezuela and Colombia ; Venezuela and Guyana ; Venezuela and Brazil -- Role of the military in national life. Missions ; Manpower ; Defense spending -- Armed forces organization, training, and equipment. The army ; The navy ; The air force ; The armed forces of cooperation (national guard) ; Uniforms, ranks, and insignia -- Internal security and public order. Threats to internal security ; Law enforcement agencies ; The criminal justice system ; The prison system.
- Rev. ed. of: Area handbook for Venezuela / coauthors, Howard I. Blutstein [and others]. 3d ed.
"Research completed December 1990."
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 229-250) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 8999321