The Literary North / Edited by Katharine Cockin, Professor in English, University of Hull, UK.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 269 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Cockin, Katharine, 1963-
- Introducing the literary North / Katharine Cockin -- The chimneyed city : imagining the North in Victorian literature / Josephine Guy -- By the people, for the people : the literary North and the local press, 1880-1914 / Jan Hewitt -- The sublime and satanic North : the potteries in George Moore's A mummer's wife (1885) and Arnold Bennett's Anna of the five towns (1902) / Ann Heilmann -- Clog-dancers and clay : the geography of Arnold Bennett's North in Clayhanger / Ruth Robbins -- Dirty old town : the presentation of the northern cityscape in Ewan MacColl's Landscape with chimneys / Claire Warden -- The North, my world : W.H. Auden's Pennine ways / Anthony Sharpe -- Northern yobs : representations of youth in 1950s writing : Hoggart, Sillitoe and Waterhouse / Nick Bentley -- The unknown city : Hull and the North in the poetry of Larkin, Dunn and Didsbury / Sean O'Brien -- Northern working-class spectator sports : Tony Harrison's Continuous / Jo Gill -- North-east childhood : representations of the North-east of England in the work of Robert Westall / Nolan Dalrymple -- Where you going now? : themes of alienation and belonging in the North-east in children's literature / Robert Lee -- The North in Children's fiction / Tess Cosslett -- The literary response to Moss Side, Manchester : fact or (genre) fiction? / Lynne Pearce -- Locating the literary North / Katharine Cockin.
- 9780230367401 (hbk.) and 0230367402 (hbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9020928