Young Henry : the rise of Henry VIII / Robert Hutchinson
- Hutchinson, Robert, 1948-
- New York : Thomas Dunne Books, 2012.
- 1st U.S. ed.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 356 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : color illustrations ; 25 cm
- Hutchinson delves into the forces that shaped Henry VIII from his birth in 1491 to the birth in 1533 of his daughter Elizabeth. Hutchinson is admirable at pulling out amusing tidbits from the primary sources he obviously plumbed to write this breezy account of how Henry's cloistered youth influenced his public role as monarch. The early Tudors realized their hold upon the English throne would always be precarious, and thus ruthlessly eliminated rival claimants and were obsessed about producing enough male heirs to ensure the succession.
- 9781250012616 (hardcover)
- Originally published: London : Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2011.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9145465