Family, community, and higher education / edited by Toby S. Jenkins
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- x, 149 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Jenkins, Toby S. (Toby Susann), 1975-
- Routledge research in education ; 89
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Family -- 1.It's a Family Affair: The Journey to College / Breanna Brown -- 2.Love Lessons From "The Hood" / Ashley Hazelwood -- 3.Home Training: Family, Struggle, Resilience, and Everything in Between / Anthony R. Keith, Jr. -- 4.Speaking Those Things That Be Not as Though They Are: The Role of Faith in Caregivers' Educational Hopes for Their Differently-Abled Son / Lachan V. Hannon -- pt. II Mothers -- 5.Extending a Hand: Grateful My Grandmother Raised Me / Cynthia (Ce) Garrison -- 6.Mama Says: Activist, Pedagogue, and Feminist? / Clara Endsley -- 7.A Generation Makes a Difference: The Impact of Family Values on a First- and Second- Generation College-Going Mother and Daughter / Giovanna Bargh Fini -- 8.Mother May I? A Daughter of a Low-Income, First-Generation, Single-Parent Household Goes to College / Sinitra N. Johnson -- pt. III Fathers -- 9.Gifts From My Father / Sondra Frank -- 10.Piece by Piece: Laying Down the Road Map to Purpose and Agency / Edward J. Smith -- 11.Unconventional Genius: Father Knows Best / Toby S. Jenkins -- pt. IV Community -- 12.Third Culture Students: Accounting for Family, Distance, and Separation of American-Born and Internationally-Raised U.S. College Students / Aracelie L. Castro -- 13.Feminist Ujamaa: Transnational Feminist Pedagogies, Community, and Family in East Africa / Marla L. Jaksch -- 14.Community and Family as Critical Sites for Transformative Education: Implications for Practice / Toby S. Jenkins.
- "This book explores social topics and experiences that illustrate the various ways in which the family unit influences and impacts college students. In the text, the authors not only explore family memories, but also challenge the traditional lack of inclusion and appreciation for family as knowledge producers and educational allies. This book spotlights the family unit as a critical factor within the educational experience, one that prepares, supports, and sustains educational achievement through both everyday simple lessons and critical and difficult family challenges. Through these experiences, families teach the lessons of survival that often help students to persist in college"--
- 9780415502276 (hardback) and 0415502276 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9187125