The politics of the Earth : environmental discourses / John S. Dryzek
- Dryzek, John S., 1953-
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2013.
- 3rd ed.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 270 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I INTRODUCTION -- 1.Making Sense of Earth's Politics: A Discourse Approach -- The changing terms of environmental politics -- A discourse approach -- Classifying the main environmental discourses -- Questions to ask about discourses -- The differences that discourses make -- The uses of discourse analysis -- pt. II GLOBAL LIMITS AND THEIR DENIAL -- 2.Looming Tragedy: Limits, Boundaries, Survival -- The origins of survivalism -- To the limits---and beyond -- From limits to planetary boundaries -- The political philosophy of survival -- Discourse analysis of limits and survival -- Limits and survival in practice -- Limits and survival: an assessment -- 3.Growth Unlimited: The Promethean Response -- The Promethean background -- Promethean argument to the foreground -- Promethean environmentalism -- Analysis of Promethean discourse -- The impact of Promethean discourse -- Promethean discourse: an assessment -- pt. III SOLVING ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS -- 4.Leave it to the Experts: Administrative Rationalism -- The repertoire of administrative rationalism -- Discourse analysis of administrative rationalism -- The justification of administrative rationalism -- Administrative rationalism in crisis -- From government to governance? -- 5.Leave it to the People: Democratic Pragmatism -- Democratic pragmatism in action -- Democratic pragmatism as government and governance -- The rationality of democratic pragmatism -- Discourse analysis of democratic pragmatism -- The limits of democratic pragmatism -- 6.Leave it to the Market: Economic Rationalism -- Privatizing everything if you can -- If you can't privatize it, market it anyway -- Analysis of economic rationalism discourse -- An assessment of economic rationalism -- pt. IV THE QUEST FOR SUSTAINABILITY -- 7.Greener Growth: Sustainable Development -- What is sustainable development? -- The career of the concept -- Discourse analysis of sustainable development -- Whither sustainable development? -- 8.Industrial Society and Beyond: Ecological Modernization -- Cleanest and greenest -- The idea of ecological modernization -- Discourse analysis of ecological modernization -- Radicalizing ecological modernization? -- Ecological modernization in the balance -- pt. V GREEN RADICALISM -- 9.Changing People: Green Consciousness -- The varieties of green consciousness -- The romantic disposition and its critics -- Discourse analysis of green consciousness -- The impact of green consciousness change -- Can green consciousness save the Earth? -- 10.New Society: Green Politics -- The varieties of green politics -- Discourse analysis of green politics -- Green politics in practice -- Being green in global capitalist times -- pt. VI CONCLUSION -- 11.Ecological Democracy.
- 9780199696000 (pbk.) and 0199696004 (pbk.)
- Previous ed.: 2005.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9357558