Rethink HIV [electronic resource] : smarter ways to invest in ending HIV in sub-Saharan Africa / [edited by] Bjørn Lomborg
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (363 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Lomborg, Bjørn, 1965-
- Machine generated contents note: Foreword / Peter Piot -- Introduction / Bjørn Lomborg -- Part I. The Research -- Prevention of sexual transmission / Jere R. Behrman and Hans-Peter Kohler -- Alternative perspective : prevention of sexual transmission / Damien de Walque -- Alternative perspective : prevention of sexual transmission / Alan Whiteside -- Prevention of non-sexual transmission / Lori A. Bollinger -- Alternative perspective : prevention of non-sexual transmission / Rob Baltussen and Jan Hontelez -- Alternative perspective : prevention of non-sexual transmission / Mira Johri -- Treatment / Mead Over and Geoffrey P. Garnett -- Alternative perspective : treatment / Robert J. Brent -- Alternative perspective : treatment /John Stover -- Strengthening health systems / William P. McGreevey, with Carlos Avila and Mary Punchak -- Alternative perspective : strengthening health systems / Till Bärnighausen, David E. Bloom, and Salal Humair -- Alternative perspective : strengthening health systems / Nicoli Nattrass -- Social policy / Anna Vassall, Michelle Remme, and Charlotte Watts -- Alternative perspective : social policy / Tony Barnett -- Alternative perspective : social policy / Harounan Kazianga -- Vaccine research and development / Dean Jamison and Robert Hecht, with Jared Augenstein, Gabrielle Partridge and Kira Thorien -- Alternative perspective : vaccine research and development / Steven S. Forsythe -- Alternative perspective : vaccine research and development / Joshua Salomon -- Part II. Ranking the Opportunities -- Findings of the Nobel Laureate economist expert panel / Ernest Aryeetey ... [et al.] -- Findings from African civil society / Bactrin Killingo ... [et al.]. -- Conclusion / Bjørn Lomborg.
- "Thirty years after the identification of the disease that became known as AIDS, humanitarian organizations warn that the fight against HIV/AIDS has slowed, amid a funding shortfall and donor fatigue. In this book, Bjørn Lomborg brings together research by world-class specialist authors, a foreword by UNAIDS founding director Peter Piot and perspectives from Nobel Laureates and African civil society leaders to identify the most effective ways to tackle the pandemic across sub-Saharan Africa. There remains an alarming lack of high-quality data evaluating responses to HIV. We still know too little about what works, where and how to replicate our successes. This book offers the first comprehensive attempt by teams of authors to analyze HIV/AIDS policy choices using cost-benefit analysis, across six major topics. This approach provides a provocative fresh look at the best ways to scale up the fight against this killer epidemic"--Provided by publisher.
- 9781139569408 (electronic bk.)
1139569406 (electronic bk.)
9781139236805 (electronic bk.)
1139236806 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 9358284