Gilded voices [electronic resource] : economics, politics, and storytelling in the Yangzi delta since 1949 / by Qiliang He.
- He, Qiliang, 1974-
- Leiden : Brill, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Ideas, history, and modern China, 1875-9394 ; v. 5
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- Machine generated contents note: ch. One The Pingtan System -- ch. Two Cutting the Tail: The Founding of the Shanghai Troupe in the Early 1950s -- ch. Three Politics as Entertainment: Middle-Length Pingtan Stories in the 1950s and 1960s -- ch. Four Between the Association and the State: The Guangyu Incident in 1957 -- ch. Five Between Accommodation and Resistance: Pingtan Storytelling on the Eve of the Cultural Revolution -- ch. Six Beyond Spiritual Pollution: The Odysseys of Su Yuyin and Yang Zijiang -- ch. Seven Between Nostalgic and Critical: Political Pingtan Stories at the Turn of the New Millennium.
- In Gilded Voices, Qiliang He focuses on pingtan, a storytelling art using the Suzhou dialect, to explore the role of the cultural market in mediating between the state and artists in the PRC era.
- Storytelling—China—Yangtze River Delta—History—20th century
- Oral tradition—China—Yangtze River Delta—History—20th century
- Politics and culture—China—Yangtze River Delta—History—20th century
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Folklore & Mythology
- Yangtze River (China)—Economic conditions
- Yangtze River (China)—Social conditions
- Yangtze River (China)—Politics and government
- 9789004232440 (electronic book)
9789004232440 (electronic bk.)
9004232443 (electronic bk.)
- Description based upon print version of record.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9359004