American Jewish films : the search for identity / Lawrence J. Epstein
- Epstein, Lawrence J. (Lawrence Jeffrey)
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 210 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- What is a Jewish film? -- The Jewish Plymouth Rock: films about the Lower East Side -- The past is prologue: films of Jewish history -- The oldest hatred: anti-semitism in films -- The invisible Jews: films about assimilation -- Assimilation with a heart: romance in American Jewish films -- The Borscht Belt shtetl: films about Jewish resorts in the Catskills -- Zion on the screen: films about Israel -- The dark side: Jewish criminals on film -- Faith on film -- An American Jewish identity -- Chronology of films.
- "This work starts with the first Jewish silent films and continues by historical era, focusing on representative and important films. One of the aspects of American Jewish life brought out by the films in general is the tensions between an American and a Jewish identity and between a Jewish identity and a broader human identity"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780786469628 (softcover : alk. paper)
0786469625 (softcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9360174