Oaths and the English Reformation [electronic resource] / Jonathan Gray
- Gray, Jonathan, 1979-
- New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 272 pages)
- Contents note continued: The professions of 1534 to 1536 as a response to previous oaths -- 4.Responses to the oaths of succession and supremacy -- Who swore and why some people refused to swear -- How people took the oaths of the Henrician Reformation -- 5.Oaths and the Pilgrimage of Grace -- Response as imitation: the administration of the pilgrims' oaths -- Response as interpretation: the pilgrims' oaths, the oath of succession, and loyalty to the king -- 6.Oaths, evangelicals, and heresy prosecution -- The traditional role of oaths in the prosecution of heretics -- The early evangelical response to heresy oaths -- Oaths and heresy trials in later Henrician England -- Conclusion -- Appendix -- A.The oaths of a bishop-elect to the Pope -- B.The oaths of a bishop-elect to the king in restitution for temporalities -- C.The promise of the bishops to renounce the Pope and his bulls -- D.The oaths of succession -- E.Instructions for the visitation of the friars, their profession, and the profession of the other clerical institutions in 1534 -- F.The professions of bishops and universities in 1535 -- G.Post-1535 Henrician oaths of supremacy.
- 9781139086295 (electronic bk.)
1139086294 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 247-265) and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 9360983