The predicament of blackness : postcolonial Ghana and the politics of race / Jemima Pierre
- Pierre, Jemima
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 263 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Of natives and Europeans : colonialism and the ethnicization of racial dominance -- "Seek ye first the political kingdom" : the postcolony and racial formation -- "You are rich because you are white" : marking race and signifying whiteness -- The fact of lightness : Skin bleaching and the colored codes of racial aesthetics -- Slavery and Pan-Africanist triumph : heritage tourism and state racecraft -- "Are you a Black American?" : race and the politics of African-diaspora interactions -- Race across the Atlantic- and back : theorizing Africa and/in the diaspora -- Epilogue : Writing Ghana, imagining Africa, interrogating diaspora.
- 9780226923024 (cloth : alkaline paper)
0226923029 (cloth : alkaline paper)
9780226923031 (paperback : alkaline paper)
0226923037 (paperback : alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -248) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9365636