Intra-Operative Neuropathology for the Non-Neuropathologist [electronic resource] : A Case-Based Approach / edited by Cynthia T. Welsh
- Welsh, Cynthia T.
- New York, NY : Springer New York, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- IX, 170 pages 400 illustrations, 119 illustrations in color : digital
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- This volume acquaints the non-neuropathologist with the advantages of clinical-radiologic-pathologic correlation in neuropathology specimens, particularly in the intra-operative environment. This volume covers the enormous and sometimes insurmountable artifacts involed with freezing tissue, especially central nervous system tissue and how a good cytology preparation can add to, or even supply in isolation, a diagnosis. The text presents how to perform, and stain the cytologic preparations, and how to interpret them. The advantages and disadvantages of both frozen sections and cytologic preparations of various kinds are discussed. The presentation and format is very visual with diagrams, tables (including pearls and pitfalls), and many figures (therefore easy reading).An introductory chapter presents the pros and cons of supplemental cytology, the advantages and disadvantages of frozen sections, and the artifacts in both. Also included is an argument for knowing what the scans reveal and the impact of relevant patient history. The volume uses a case-based approach to show correlation between scan, history, frozen section and cytologic preparations.With the combination of extensive correlation of scans, cytology and frozen section with differential diagnosis, and analysis of the information crucial to the neurosurgeon in a case-based approach and with a special chapter written by a neuroradiologist, this volume is unique in presentation and utility and will be of great value to the trainee in pathology (residents/fellows), and practicing pathologists who include neuropathology in their practice, but do not have formal fellowship training in neuropathology.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 9369547