Brain Aging and Therapeutic Interventions [electronic resource] / edited by Mahendra K. Thakur, Suresh I.S. Rattan
- Thakur, Mahendra K.
- Dordrecht : Springer Netherlands : Imprint: Springer, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- XII, 296 pages 36 illustrations, 16 illustrations in color : digital
- Additional Creators:
- Rattan, Suresh I. S. and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Editorial -- Contributors -- 1 Brain aging: a critical reappraisal -- 2 Base excision DNA repair: the house keeping guardian for genomic stability in the brain -- 3 Role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor as a modulator of synaptic plasticity -- 4 Mitochondrial dysfunction in sporadic Alzheimer's disease: mechanisms, consequences and interventions -- 5 Brain Aging: Influence of early–life events on late-life brain disorders -- 6 The importance of the environment in brain aging: Be happy, live longer -- 7 Consequences of altered mortalin expression in control of cell proliferation and brain function -- 8 Age induced alterations in biological clock : Therapeutic effects of melatonin changes in regulation of biological clock -- 9 Neurolipofuscin in aging and aluminum-induced aging: Possible therapeutic interventions -- 10 Dietary restriction as a potential intervention to retard age-associated impairment of brain functions -- 11 Understanding mechanism of action of herbal drugs in age-related degenerative brain disorders -- 12 Neurodegeneration in hypoxia: implications in aging -- 13 Stress and memory; from mechanisms to long-lasting consequences -- 14 Estrogen mediated neuroprotection: Hope to combat neuronal degeneration and synaptic plasticity post-menopause -- 15 Potential therapeutic targets for memory impairments and dementia: Clues obtained from memory-enhanced mice -- 16 Potential beneficial effects of a diet with walnuts in aging and Alzheimer’s disease -- 17 Smart dietary interventions and prevention of cognitive decline with aging -- 18 Herbal cognitive enhancers: New developments and challenges for therapeutic applications -- Index.
- The proposed book will be a multi-author review book comprised of relevant chapters written in the form of critical reviews by the leading researchers in their respective fields. The format of the articles will be in semi-academic style in which research data from various experimental systems will be presented while focusing on their applications in human beings with respect to the prevention and treatment of age-related impairments in brain functions. The book will consist of about 18 chapters, each of which will be on an average 16 pages long giving about 300 pages. Each chapter will be a comprehensive and critical review of the topic in question presenting important data in a tabulated form, and wherever necessary using photographs and line drawings. It will provide an authoritative and up-to-date account of a specific topic with a comprehensive list of citations of original research papers and review articles.
- Other Subject(s):
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 9373398