Urban poverty in the global South : scale and nature / Diana Mitlin and David Satterthwaite
- Mitlin, Diana
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 354 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Satterthwaite, David
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Why this book? -- Introduction -- The transition to an increasingly urbanized world -- How we came to be engaged in this issue -- Some notes on terminologies used -- 2.Measuring poverty -- Introduction -- Understating urban poverty -- The unrealistic criteria used to set poverty lines -- Costs for non-food essentials -- Other limitations of poverty lines -- A framework for considering the multiple deprivations -- 3.Why is health so poor among low-income urban dwellers? -- Introduction -- The determinants of health for urban populations -- Factors leading to poor health -- Urban poverty and mortality -- Urban poverty and nutrition -- Urban poverty and morbidity -- Urban poverty and environment -- Urban poverty and disasters -- Urban poverty and climate change -- 4.Incomes and livelihoods -- Introduction -- Understanding the informal economy -- Securing income -- Labour and livelihoods -- Gender and generation -- Economies -- Conclusion -- 5.Critical issues in urban inequality -- Introduction -- Why inequality matters -- Approaches and frameworks -- The experience of income inequalities -- `Urban' inequality: The nexus between income, access to infrastructure and services and residential areas -- Political inequalities -- Conclusion -- 6.Broadening the understanding and measurement of urban poverty -- Introduction -- Understanding the multiple deprivations associated with urban poverty -- Implications for incorporating the many dimensions of deprivation into poverty assessments and measurements -- Implications for reducing poverty -- The opportunities for enhancing income, consumption and services -- Implications for the measurement of urban poverty -- Urban poverty and health -- Comparing urban and rural poverty? -- Addressing inequality -- What is needed in a post-MDG world.
- 9780415624664 (hardback), 0415624665 (hardback), 9780415624671 (pbk.), 0415624673 (pbk.), 9780203104316 (ebook), and 0203104315 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9377084