Handbook of patient-provider interactions : raising and responding to concerns about life, illness, and disease / edited by Wayne A. Beach
- Additional Titles:
- Patient-provider interactions
- New York, N.Y. : Hampton Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 799 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Beach, Wayne A.
- Machine generated contents note: Section I Offers and Responses -- ch. 1 The Patient's Offers and the Doctor's Responses / Michael Balint -- ch. 2 Doctor-Patient Communication / Vida Francis Negrete -- ch. 3 Pathways to the Doctor---From Person to Patient / Irving Kenneth Zola -- ch. 4 The Structure of the Consultation: An Analysis of Behavioural Phases / Barrie E. L. Long -- ch. 5 Analysing Detailed Behaviour and Discovering Basic Styles / Barrie E. L. Long -- ch. 6 Culture, Illness, and Care: Clinical Lessons from Anthropologic and Cross-Cultural Research / Byron Good -- Section II Inadequacy and Biomedicine -- ch. 7 The Need for a New Medical Model: A Challenge for Biomedicine / George L. Engel -- ch. 8 The Effect of Physician Behavior on the Collection of Data / Richard M. Frankel -- ch. 9 Problems and Prospects for Health Services Research on Provider--Patient Communication / William B. Carter -- ch. 10 The Limitations of the Medical Model / Allen Barbour -- ch. 11 Soliciting the Patient's Agenda: Have We Improved? / Howard B. Beckman -- ch. 12 The Enduring and Evolving Nature of the Patient--Physician Relationship / Debra Roter -- Section III Asymmetry, Authority, and Control -- ch. 13 Talk and Institution: A Reconsideration of the "Asymmetry" of Doctor-Patient Interaction / Paul ten Have -- ch. 14 Authority and Accountability: The Delivery of Diagnosis in Primary Health Care / Anssi Perakyla -- ch. 15 The Interactional Construction of Asymmetry: The Medical Agenda as a Resource for Delaying Response to Patient Questions / Felicia Roberts -- ch. 16 Beliefs About Control in the Physician-Patient Relationship: Effect on Communication in Medical Encounters / Paul Haidet -- Section IV Patient-Initiated Actions: Explanations, Expectations, Requests, Solicitations, and Resistance -- ch. 17 Doing Attributions in Medical Interaction: Patients' Explanations for Illness and Doctors' Responses / Virginia Teas Gill -- ch. 18 Online Commentary in Acute Medical Visits: A Method of Shaping Patient Expectations / Tanya Stivers -- ch. 19 Asymmetry in Action: Sequential Resources in the Negotiation of a Prescription Request / Jeffrey D. Robinson -- ch. 20 Accomplishing a Request Without Making One: A Single Case Analysis of a Primary Care Visit / Felicia Roberts -- ch. 21 Clinical Care and Conversational Contingencies: The Role of Patients' Self-Diagnosis in Medical Encounters / Richard M. Frankel -- ch. 22 The Voice of the Patient: Non-Alignment Between Patients and Doctors in the Consultation / Paul Drew -- ch. 23 Patient Participation in Medical Consultations: Why Some Patients are More Involved than Others / Richard L. Kravitz -- ch. 24 `Occasional' Drinking: Some Uses of a Non-standard Temporal Metric in Primary Care Assessment of Alcohol Use / Timothy Halkowski -- Section V Attending and Disattending Issues Raised by Patients -- ch. 25 Breaking the Sequential Mould: Answering "More than the Question" during Comprehensive History Taking / John Heritage -- ch. 26 Missing Assessments: Lay and Professional Orientations in Medical Interviews / Charlotte M. Jones -- ch. 27 Agency and Authority: Extended Responses to Diagnostic Statements in Primary Care Encounters / Anssi Perakyla -- ch. 28 Practices for Reporting and Responding to Test Results During Medical Consultations: Enacting the Roles of Paternalism and Independent Expertise / E. Sean Rintel -- ch. 29 "My mom had a stroke": Understanding How Patients Raise and Providers Respond to Psychosocial Concerns / Jenny Mandelbaum -- Section VI Empathy-In-Action: Responding to Patients' Emotional Concerns -- ch. 30 A Model of Empathetic Communication in the Medical Interview / Richard Frankel -- ch. 31 Revealing Moments: Formulating Understandings of Adverse Experiences in a Health Appraisal Interview / Christie N. Dixson -- ch. 32 An Interactional Structure of Medical Activities During Acute Visits and Its Implications for Patients' Participation / Jeffrey D. Robinson -- ch. 33 Physician Gender and Patient-Centered Communication: A Critical Review of Empirical Research / Judith A. Hall -- ch. 34 "Empathy" and "Sympathy" in Action: Attending to Patients' Troubles in Finnish Homeopathic and General Practice Consultations / Johanna Ruusuvuori -- Section VII Other Delicate Moments During Medical Interviews -- ch. 35 Invoking a Hostile World: Discussing the Patient's Future in AIDS Counseling / Anssi Perakyla -- ch. 36 Bad News in Oncology: How Physician and Patient Talk about Death and Dying without Using Those Words / Douglas W. Maynard -- ch. 37 Laughter as a Patient's Resource: Dealing with Delicate Aspects of Medical Interaction / Markku Haakana -- ch. 38 Participating in Decisions about Treatment: Overt Parent Pressure for Antibiotic Medication in Pediatric Encounters / Tanya Stivers -- ch. 39 On Predicating a Diagnosis as an Attribute of a Person / Douglas W. Maynard -- ch. 40 Disclosing and Responding to Cancer "Fears" during Oncology Interviews / Elisa Pigeron -- ch. 41 The Structure of Patients' Presenting Concerns: Physicians' Opening Questions / Jeffrey D. Robinson -- ch. 42 When Patients Present Serious Health Conditions as Unlikely: Managing Potentially Conflicting Issues and Constraints / Paul Denvir -- Section VIII Embodied Actions: Talk, Gaze, Gesture, and Body Orientations -- ch. 43 Getting Down to Business: Talk, Gaze, and Body Orientation During Openings of Doctor-Patient Consultations / Jeffrey David Robinson -- ch. 44 Looking Means Listening: Coordinating Displays of Engagement in Doctor--Patient Interaction / Johanna Ruusuvuori -- ch. 45 Demonstrative Suffering: The Gestural (Re)embodiment of Symptoms / Christian Heath -- ch. 46 Body Disclosures: Attending to Personal Problems and Reported Sexual Abuse During a Medical Encounter / Curtis D. LeBaron -- ch. 47 Formulating the Triangle of Doom / Gary Dunnington -- Section IX Communication and Consultation Skills: Promises and Potential Outcomes -- ch. 48 Consultation Skills of Young Doctors: I-Benefits of Feedback Training in Interviewing as Students Persist / Charles Fletcher -- ch. 49 Physicians' Psychosocial Beliefs Correlate with Their Patient Communication Skills / Debra Roter -- ch. 50 Physician-Patient Communication: The Relationship With Malpractice Claims Among Primary Care Physicians and Surgeons / Richard M. Frankel -- ch. 51 The Effects of Communication Skills Training on Patients' Participation During Medical Interviews / Douglas M. Post -- ch. 52 Assessing Competence in Communication and Interpersonal Skills: The Kalamazoo II Report / Richard Frankel.
- 9781572736924 (hardbound)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9483556