Stellar Structure and Evolution [electronic resource] / by Rudolf Kippenhahn, Alfred Weigert, Achim Weiss
- Kippenhahn, Rudolf, 1926-
- Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin Heidelberg : Imprint: Springer, 2013.
- 2nd ed. 2013.
- Physical Description:
- XVIII, 604 pages 186 illustrations : digital
- Additional Creators:
- Weigert, A. (Alfred), 1927-
Weiss, A. (Achim)
SpringerLink (Online service)
- Astronomy and Astrophysics Library, 0941-7834
- Part I The Basic Equations -- 1 Coordinates, Mass Distribution, and Gravitational Field in Spherical Stars -- 2 Conservation of Momentum -- 3 The Virial Theorem -- 4 Conservation of Energy -- 5 Transport of Energy by Radiation and Conduction -- 6 Stability Against Local, Non-spherical Perturbations -- 7 Transport of Energy by Convection -- 8 The Chemical Composition -- 9 Mass Loss -- Part II The Overall Problem -- 10 The Differential Equations of Stellar Evolution -- 11 Boundary Conditions -- 12 Numerical Procedure -- Part III Properties of Stellar Matter -- 13 The Perfect Gas with Radiation -- 14 Ionization -- 15 The Degenerate Electron Gas -- 16 The Equation of State of Stellar Matter -- 17 Opacity -- 18 Nuclear Energy Production -- Part IV Simple Stellar Models -- 19 Polytropic Gaseous Spheres -- 20 Homology Relations -- 21 Simple Models in the U–V Plane -- 22 The Zero Age Main-Sequence -- 23 Other Main-Sequences -- 24 The Hayashi Line -- 25 Stability Considerations -- Part V Early Stellar Evolution -- 26 The Onset of Star Formation -- 27 The Formation of Protostars -- 28 Pre-Main-Sequence Contraction -- 29 From the Initial to the Present Sun -- 30 Evolution on the Main-Sequence -- Part VI Post-Main-Sequence Evolution -- 31 Evolution Through Helium Burning – Intermediate-Mass Stars -- 32 Evolution Through Helium Burning – Massive Stars -- 33 Evolution Through Helium Burning – Low-Mass Stars -- Part VII Late Phases of Stellar Evolution -- 34 Evolution on the Asymptotic Giant Branch -- 35 Later Phases of Core Evolution -- 36 Final Explosions and Collapse -- Part VIII Compact Objects -- 37 White Dwarfs -- 38 Neutron Stars -- 39 Black Holes -- Part IX Pulsating Stars -- 40 Adiabatic Spherical Pulsations -- 41 Non-adiabatic Spherical Pulsations -- 42 Non-radial Stellar Oscillations -- Part X Stellar Rotation -- 43 The Mechanics of Rotating Stellar Models -- 44 The Thermodynamics of Rotating Stellar Models -- 45 The Angular-Velocity Distribution in Stars -- References -- Index.
- This long-awaited second edition of the classical textbook on Stellar Structure and Evolution by Kippenhahn and Weigert is a thoroughly revised version of the original text. Taking into account modern observational constraints as well as additional physical effects such as mass loss and diffusion, Achim Weiss and Rudolf Kippenhahn have succeeded in bringing the book up to the state-of-the-art with respect to both the presentation of stellar physics and the presentation and interpretation of current sophisticated stellar models. The well-received and proven pedagogical approach of the first edition has been retained.The book provides a comprehensive treatment of the physics of the stellar interior and the underlying fundamental processes and parameters. The models developed to explain the stability, dynamics and evolution of the stars are presented and great care is taken to detail the various stages in a star’s life. Just as the first edition, which remained a standard work for more than 20 years after its first publication, the second edition will be of lasting value not only for students but also for active researchers in astronomy and astrophysics.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 9484929