Hollywood's Africa after 1994 / edited by MaryEllen Higgins
- Athens : Ohio University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 274 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Higgins, MaryEllen, 1967-
- Introduction: African blood, Hollywood's diamonds? Hollywood's Africa after 1994 / MaryEllen Higgins -- The cited and the uncited: toward an emancipatory reading of representations of Africa / Harry Garuba and Natasha Himmelman -- The troubled terrain of human rights films: Blood diamond, The last king of Scotland, and, The devil came on horseback / Margaret R. Higonnet, with Ethel R. Higonnet -- Hollywood's representations of human rights: the case of Terry George's Hotel Rwanda / Joyce B. Ashuntantang -- Hollywood's cowboy humanitarianism in Black Hawk down and Tears of the sun / MaryEllen Higgins -- Again, the darkness: Shake hands with the devil / Kenneth W. Harrow -- Ambiguities and paradoxes: framing northern intervention in The constant gardener / Christopher Odhiambo Joseph -- Minstrelsy and mythic appetites: The last king of Scotland's heart of darkness in the Jubilee Year of African independence / Ricardo Guthrie -- "An image of Africa": representations of modern colonialism in Africa in Peter Jackson's King Kong / Clifford T. Manlove -- Plus 'a change, plus c'est la méme chose: Hollywood's constructions of Africa in Lord of war / Earl Conteh-Morgan -- New Jack African cinema: Dangerous ground; Cry, the beloved country; and Blood diamond / Bennetta Jules-Rosette, J.R. Osborn, and Lea Marie Ruiz-Ade -- "It is a very rough game, almost as rough as politics": rugby as visual metaphor and the future of the new South Africa in Invictus / Christopher Garland -- "Every brother ain't a brother": cultural dissonance and Nigerian malaise in District 9's new South Africa / Kimberly Nichele Brown -- Coaxing the beast out of the cage: secrecy and disclosure in Red dust and Catch a fire / Jane Bryce -- Situating agency in Blood diamond and Ezra / Iyunolu Osagie -- Bye bye Hollywood: African cinema and its double in Mahamet-Saleh Haroun's Bye bye Africa / Dayna Oscherwitz.
- 9780821420157 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0821420151 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2013
View MARC record | catkey: 9608274