Peptides and proteins [electronic resource] / Shawn Doonan
- Doonan, Shawn
- Cambridge : Royal Society of Chemistry, 2002.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (v, 186 pages) : illustrations
- Tutorial chemistry texts ; 15
- The covalent structures of peptides and proteins -- Chemical synthesis of peptides -- Protein purification -- Determination of the covalent structures of peptides and proteins -- Proteins in three dimensions -- Protein chemistry in silico.
- This product is not available separately, it is only sold as part of a set. There are 750 products in the set and these are all sold as one entity. Encompassing all aspects of the structures of peptides and proteins, this book adopts a uniquely problem-oriented approach to the topic. Starting with a look at the structures and properties of the twenty amino acids that occur in proteins, and moving on to the synthesis of polypeptides and the isolation of proteins, Peptides and Proteins then addresses the methods of analysis of protein characteristics, including the modern methods of sequence analysis by mass spectrometry. Further chapters examine the three-dimensional nature of protein structure, and introduce the student to the use of computer applications (molecular graphics, databases, bioinformatics) in protein chemistry. Original research data is used in many of the problems, and throughout sufficient background biology is included, thus putting the subject into context for chemists. Aimed at first and second-year chemistry students, this title will also be of interest to students of biochemistry. Ideal for the needs of undergraduate chemistry students, Tutorial Chemistry Texts is a major new series consisting of short, single topic or modular texts concentrating on the fundamental areas of chemistry taught in undergraduate science courses. Each book provides a concise account of the basic principles underlying a given subject, embodying an independent-learning philosophy and including worked examples.
0854046925 (Trade Cloth)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9608753