Bible & music : influences of the Old Testament on Western music / Max Stern
- Stern, Max, 1947-
- Additional Titles:
- Bible and music
- Jersey City, N.J. : KTAV Pub. House, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 569 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Joseph Haydn : The creation : the influence of Paradise lost -- Darius Milhaud : Cain and Abel : Biblical word, logos or pathos -- Benjamin Britten : Noyes fludde : miracle and mystery plays -- Igor Stravinsky : Abraham and Isaac : complex and untranslatable ambiguity -- Arnold Schoenberg : Jacob's ladder : music and philosophy -- Andrew Lloyd Webber : Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat : the world of popular culture -- George Frederick Handel : Israel in Egypt ; Rossini : Moses in Egypt ; Spiritual : Go down Moses -- Ernest Bloch : sacred service : from sacrifice to liturgy -- Max Stern : Balaam and the ass : a commentary on humanity -- Max Stern : Ha'azinu (Song of Moses) ; Schoenberg : Moses and Aaron -- Joshua fit de battle o' Jericho : biblical folksong and the spiritual -- Giacomo Carissimi : Jephte : origins of oratorio -- Camille Saint Seans : Samson and Delilah : biblical opera -- Max Stern : prophet or king : a prophetic episode -- Johann Kuhnau : David and Goliath : tone painting at the keyboard -- Arthur Honegger : King David : redemption as popular realism -- George Frederick Handel : Zadok the priest : anthem and motet -- Felix Mendelssohn : Elijah : biblical music drama -- Giuseppe Verdi : Nabucco : pathos as eternal truth -- Palestrina, Bach, Mozart, Verdi, and Lewandowski : images of angelic praise -- Leonard Bernstein : Jeremiah symphony : prophecy as subtext -- Ezekiel saw de wheel : theophany as vernacular -- Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi : works list -- Ben-Zion Schenker : Eshet hayil (Woman of valor) ; Schein : Israelis Brunlein -- Ralph Vaughan Williams : Job, a masque for dancing : metaphysical image in lithograph -- Yehezkel Braun : Cantici canticorum chapter 3 ; Vaughan Williams : Flos Campi -- Kurt Weill : The eternal road (excerpt) : convergence of traditions -- Ernst Krenek : Lamentations Jeremiae Prophetae : Catholic liturgy, complexity, and cogitation -- Ernest Bloch : Schelomo ; Brahms : Four serious songs -- U' Mordecai Yatza & A wicked, wicked man : school and community -- William Walton : Belshazzar's feast : choral antiphony and jazz -- Works lists : Ezra and Nehemiah -- Works lists : Chronicles 1 & 2.
- The story of the Bible as told through music, Bible & Music is a ground-breaking conceptual study about the influence of the Bible on the history of Western music; the history of music as seen from the perspectives of the Bible. The focus is on diverse treatments of biblical subjects and characters in various genres, styles and cultural contexts, arranged according to the order of books of the Old Testament (except for Psalms which will be treated in a later volume). Scriptural themes are approached in their cultural reception in relation to composer, historical period, social context, genre, performing medium and style as they contribute to give expression, meaning and "Voice" to the biblical "Word'. Each chapter explores a specific composition or compositions drawn from the worlds of traditional, folk, liturgical, popular, classical and contemporary music. Extensive lists of musical works, bibliographies, biblical references to music and appendixes on musical instruments in the Bible, along with a comprehensive index make this work a handy reference tool [Publisher description]
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes discography (pages 499-501), bibliographical references (pages 503-518), and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 9609971