Understanding pain : exploring the perception of pain / Fernando Cervero
- Cervero, Fernando
- Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 172 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- A biological enigma: the meaning of pain -- How much it hurts, measuring pain -- Sensing pain: nociceptors -- The enchanted loom: pain networks -- Pain dynamics: sensitization -- I feel your pain: perception and the brain -- A certain gut feeling: visceral pain -- A mere curse: neuropathic pain -- Sex, genes and stress: pain modulation -- A pain free world: curing pain.
- Cervero explores the mechanisms and the meaning of pain. You touch something hot and your brain triggers a reflex action that causes you to withdraw your hand. That kind of pain is actually good for us; it acts as an alarm that warns us of danger and keeps us away from harm. There is another kind of pain that is more like a curse: chronic pain that is not related to injury. Cervero describes current research into the mysteries of chronic pain and efforts to develop more effective treatments.
- 9780262018043 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 0262018047 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9616846