Watching ice and weather our way / Conrad Oozeva [and others] ; edited by Igor Krupnik [and others] = Sikumengllu eslamengllu esghapalleghput / Akulki, Tapghaghmii, Mangtaaquli, Sunqaanga, Igor Krupnik ; edited by Igor Krupnik [and others].
- Oozeva, Conrad, 1925-
- Additional Titles:
- Sikumengllu eslamengllu esghapalleghput
- Washington, D.C. : Arctic Studies Center, Smithsonian Institution ; Savoonga, Alaska : Savoonga Whaling Captains Association ; Bethesda, Md. : Marine Mammal Commission, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 207 pages : illustrations ; 22 x 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Krupnik, Igor
- Language Note:
- Text in English and Yupik.
- Definitions of marine ice -- Ice and weather observations: Savoonga and Gambell -- Yupik stories about ice and weather -- Old stories, recent memories.
- "This book is the product of a joint four-year effort by subsistence hunters from two Yupik communities on St. Lawrence Island, Alaska and northern scholars researching Arctic climate change. ... Part One presents the Yupik sea ice 'dictionary, ' an illustrated list of almost 100 Yupik terms for sea ice formations prepared by Conrad Oozeva. Part Two consists of records of observations ... Part Three introduces Yupik elders' knowledge of ice and weather ..."--P. 6.
- 0967342953 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2013
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 9619286