Education and learning in the early Islamic world / edited by Claude Gilliot
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, Vt : Ashgate Variorum, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xc, 410 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Gilliot, Claude
- The formation of the classical Islamic world ; volume 43
- Language Note:
- In English; occasional phrases in Arabic with English translations.
- The etiquette of learning in the early Islamic study circle / Christopher Melchert -- Muslim education / Ignaz Goldziher -- Some aspects of the education of princes at the 'Abbāsid Court / Albert Dietrich -- The age structure of medieval Islamic education / Richard W. Bulliet -- Advice for teachers : the 9th century Muslim scholars Ibn Saḥnūn and al-Jāḥiẓ on pedagogy and didactics / Sebastian Günther -- The Islamic preacher wā'iẓ, mudhakkir, qāṣṣ / Johannes Pedersen -- The scholarly formation of al-Ṭabarī / Claude Gilliot -- The human element between text and reader : the ijāza in Arabic manuscripts / Jan Just Witkam -- The oral transmission of knowledge in traditional Islam / Georges Vajda -- The office of the Mustamlī in Arabic scholarship / Max Weisweiler -- The use of writing for the preservation of ancient Arabic poetry / F. Krenkow -- Authorship and transmission in unauthored literature : the Akhbār attributed to al-Haytham ibn 'Adī / Stefan Leder -- On the legacy of the classics in the Islamic world / Richard Walzer -- On the transmission of Bukhārī's collection of traditions / Johann Fück -- The introduction of Ḥaḍith in al-Andalus / Isabel Fierro -- The transmission of knowledge in al-Andalus (up to 300/912) / Manuela Marín -- Libraries and bibliophiles in the Islamic east / Adolph Grohmann -- Arabic books and libraries in the Umaiyad period / Ruth Stellhorn Mackensen -- The library of al-Ḥakam II al-Mustanṣir and the culture of Islamic Spain / David Wasserstein.
- 9780860787174 (hbk.)
- A collection of previously published material, some of which has been translated into English for inclusion in this volume.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages [lxi]-xc) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9621129