Research design : qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches / John W. Creswell
- Creswell, John W.
- Thousand Oaks, California : SAGE Publications, 
- Copyright Date:
- 4th ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxix, 273 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Analytic contents of research techniques --Part I. Preliminary considerations : The selection of a research approach : The three approaches to research ; Three components involved in an approach : Philosophical worldviews; Research designs; Research methods ; Research approaches as worldviews, designs, and methods ; Criteria for selecting a research approach : The research problem and questions; Personal experience; Audience -- Review of the literature : The research topic ; The literature review : The use of the literature; Design techniques; The definition of terms; A quantitative or mixed methods literature review -- The use of theory : Quantitative theory use : Variables in quantitative research; Definition of a theory in quantitative research; Forms of theories in quantitative research; Placement of quantitative theories; Writing a quantitative theoretical perspective ; Qualitative theory use : Variation in theory use in qualitative research; Locating the theory in qualitative research ; Mixed methods theory use : Social science theory use ; Transformative paradigm theory use -- Writing strategies and ethical considerations : Writing the proposal : Arguments presented in a proposal; Format for a qualitative proposal; Designing the sections of a proposal ; Writing ideas : Writing as thinking; The habit of writing; Readability of the manuscript; Voice, tense, and "fat" ; Ethical issues to anticipate : Prior to beginning the study; Beginning the study; Collecting the data; Analyzing the data; Reporting, sharing, and storing the data -- Part II. Designing research : The introduction : The importance of introductions ; An abstract for a study ; Qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods introductions ; A model for an introduction : An illustration; The research problem; Studies addressing the problem; Deficiencies in past literature; Significance of a study for audiences -- The purpose statement : Significance and meaning of a purpose statement : A qualitative purpose statement; A quantitative purpose statement -- Research questions and hypotheses : Qualitative research questions ; Quantitative research questions and hypotheses ; Mixed methods research questions and hypotheses -- Quantitative methods : Defining surveys and experiments ; Components of a survey method plan : The survey design; The population and sample; Instrumentation; Variables in the study; Data analysis and interpretation ; Components of an experimental method plan : Participants; Variables; Instrumentation and materials; Experimental procedures; Threads to validity -- Qualitative methods : The components : The characteristics of qualitative research; Qualitative designs; The researcher's role; Data collection procedures; Data recording procedures; Data analysis and interpretation; Validity and reliability ; Writing the qualitative report -- Mixed methods procedures : Components of mixed methods procedures : Describe mixed methods research ; Types of mixed methods designs : Convergent parallel mixed methods design; Explanatory sequential mixed methods design; Exploratory sequential mixed methods design; Several advanced mixed methods designs; Mixed methods notation in the figures; Factors important in choosing a mixed methods design; Examples of mixed methods procedures -- Glossary.
- "The eagerly anticipated Fourth Edition of the title that pioneered the comparison of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research design is here! For all three approaches, Creswell includes a preliminary consideration of philosophical assumptions, a review of the literature, an assessment of the use of theory in research approaches, and reflections about the importance of writing and ethics in scholarly inquiry. He also presents the key elements of the research process, giving specific attention to each approach. The Fourth Edition includes extensively revised mixed methods coverage, increased coverage of ethical issues in research, and an expanded emphasis on worldview perspectives."--Publishers description.
- Social sciences—Research—Methodology
- Social sciences—Statistical methods
- Qualitative Sozialforschung
- Quantitative Methode
- Sociaalwetenschappelijk onderzoek
- Sciences sociales—Recherche—Méthodologie
- Sciences sociales—Méthodes statistiques
- Statistics as Topic
- 9781452226095 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 251-260) and indexes.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2013
Purchased with funds from the Don and Marion MacKinnon Library Endowment in Biotechnology; 2014
- Endowment Note:
- Don and Marion MacKinnon Library Endowment in Biotechnology
Paterno Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 9621178