The media gaze : representations of diversities in Canada / Augie Fleras
- Fleras, Augie, 1947-
- Vancouver : UBC Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 300 pages ; 24 cm
- Disassembling media representations 101 -- Conceptualizing media gazes -- Racialized media, mediated racism -- A gendered media: male media gazes in a feminist world -- Media, classed: framing the rich, the poor, and the working in-between -- Sexuality in the media: the new media gays -- Engaging age(ism): young adults, older adults -- Racializing immigrants/refugees: news framing the other within -- Advertising beauty: what is Dove really doing? -- Reclaiming a muscular masculinity: televising a working-class heroic / with the assistance of Dr. Shane Dixon -- Framing religion: media blind spot or coverage that blinds? -- Social media as oppositional gaze -- Unsilencing Aboriginal voices: toward an Indigenous media gaze -- Ethnic media: "empowering the people" -- Conclusion: re-engaging the media gaze.
- Mass media—Social aspects—Canada
- Mass media—Political aspects—Canada
- Minorities in mass media
- Multiculturalism in mass media
- Médias—Aspect social—Canada
- Médias—Aspect politique—Canada
- Minorités dans les médias—Canada
- Multiculturalisme dans les médias
- Mass media
- Mass media—Political aspects
- Mass media—Social aspects
- NOT HANDLED ON AP-RECENT REPRINT.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -291) and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also issued in electronic format.
View MARC record | catkey: 9621559