Spenser's Faerie queene : a poem in six books, with the fragment mutabilitie / edited by Thomas J. Wise ; pictured by Walter Crane
- Spenser, Edmund, 1552?-1599
- London : G. Allen, 1895-1897.
- Physical Description:
- 6 v. : illus., plates ; 29 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Wise, Thomas James, 1859-1937 and Crane, Walter, 1845-1915
- Double t.-p. (v. 1) illustrated, date 1897; each book has special t.-p., dated 1894-96, respectively those of books II-VI forming special title-pages to v. 2-6.
Includes reproductions of original title-pages.
"One thousand copies printed on handmade paper".
"The basis of the text ... is the quarto of 1590, for books I-III; and the quarto of 1596, for books IV-VI".
Vol. 1 contains (prefixed to Book I): Stanza by Mr. Walter Crane, on completing the work of illustration. Certificate of issue. Author's dedications. Editor's preface, including, inter alia, (i) The author's seventeen complimentary sonnets. (ii) The five cancelled stanzas from Book III., canto XII. (iii) The seven sets of commendatory verses addressed to the author. (iv) Spenser's letter to Sir Walter Raleigh, "expounding the intention of the work". (v) Letter from "Hobbynol" (Gabriel Harvey) to Edmund Spenser. (vi) Spenser's statement, circa 1584, of his aim and object in the conception and elaboration of the Faerie queene. Chronology of Edmund Spenser.
- Bibliography Note:
- Bibliography is scattered throughout the editor's preface.
View MARC record | catkey: 966640