Democratization in the Global South : the importance of transformative politics / edited by Kristian Stokke and Olle Törnquist
- International political economy
- Part 1. Transformative politics in historical and comparative perspective. Transformative democratic politics / Kristian Stokke and Olle Törnquist ; The relevance of the Scandinavian experiences / Kristian Stokke and Olle Törnquist ; Participation and democratic transformation: building effective citizenship in Brazil, India and South Africa / Patrick Heller ; Social movements and the 'Pink Tide' governments in Latin America: transformation, inclusion and rejection / Benedicte Bull ; Paradigmatic failures of transformative democratic politics: Indonesia and Sri Lanka in comparative perspective / Kristian Stokke and Olle Törnquist -- Part 2. Transformative politics in the context of growth economies. Accumulation and inequality in China: what spaces for inclusion and welfare? / Kristen Nordhaug ; Globalisation and democracy: the equivocality of a relationship / Neera Chandhoke ; Transformative democratic politics in liberalising India? / John Harriss ; Trade unions and transformative democratic politics: political representation and popular mobilisation during local government reform in South Africa / David Christoffer Jordhus-Lier ; Transformation institutionalized? Making sense of participatory democracy in the Lula Era / Gianpaolo Baiocchi, Einar Braathen and Ana Claudia Teixeira -- Part 3. Potentials for post-clientelist transformations. Post-clientelist / James Manor ; From populism to democratic polity: problems and challenges in Solo, Indonesia / Pratikno and Cornelis Lay ; Re-politicizing local government for politics of transformation: arguments from Sri Lanka / Jayadeva Uyangoda ; Experiences and strategic intervention in transformative democratic politics / Kristian Stokke and Olle Törnquist.
- "Transformative democratic politics are necessary to the advance of substantive democratization. They are vital to the improvement of popular control over public affairs and for promoting economic growth and social welfare. In this diverse collection, the authors examine the political dynamics of democratization in the Global South, and the potential and problems of transformative strategies in new growth economies, as well as the benefits for post-clientelist transformations. If the contemporary challenge for democratization in the Global South is to substantiate formal and minimalist democracy, the contribution of this book is to point to the centrality of transformative democratic politics."--Publisher's website.
- 9780230370036 and 0230370039
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9738535