Governing international watercourses : river basin organizations and the sustainable governance of internationally shared rivers and lakes / Susanne Schmeier
- Schmeier, Susanne
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 344 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Earthscan studies in water resource management
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: governing international watercourses effectively -- The puzzle: why does river basin governance effectiveness vary? -- Studying RBO effectiveness: why, when and how do RBOs matter? -- The state of research: combining institutionalism and hydropolitics -- pt. I Theory of international river basin governance -- 2.Building a theory of river basin governance effectiveness -- Institutionalized cooperation over shared resources -- The effectiveness of institutionalized river basin governance -- Exogenous conditions: problems and actors -- The institutional design of RBOs -- Summary: the analytical framework -- pt. II The empirics of international river basin governance -- 3.River Basin Organizations around the world -- Introduction: water resources governance across the world -- Exogenous factors for the effectiveness of RBOs: cross-basin observations on problems and situations -- The institutional design of RBOs -- Conclusion -- pt. III Case studies -- 4.The Mekong River Basin and the MRC: continuous cooperation in spite of adverse conditions -- Water resources governance in the Mekong River Basin -- The effectiveness of river basin governance in the Mekong River Basin -- The MRC: institutionalized cooperation for overcoming the basin's problems -- Conclusion -- 5.The Danube River Basin and the ICPDR: strong achievements by a narrow institution -- Water resources governance problems in the Danube River Basin -- The effectiveness of river basin governance in the Danube River Basin -- The ICPDR: getting organizational set-up and river basin governance mechanisms right -- Conclusion -- 6.The Senegal River Basin and the Organisation pour la Mise en Valeur du Fleuve Senegal (OMVS): benign conditions, deficient effectiveness -- The complexity of water resources use in the Senegal River Basin -- The effectiveness of river basin governance in the Senegal River Basin -- The OMVS: institutional impediments to river basin governance effectiveness -- Conclusion -- 7.Conclusion.
- 9780415623582 (hbk : alk. paper), 0415623588 (hbk : alk. paper), 9780203105160 (ebk : alk. paper), and 0203105168 (ebk : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9753443