Edible Medicinal And Non-Medicinal Plants [electronic resource] : Volume 6, Fruits / by T. K. Lim
- Lim, Tong Kwee
- Dordrecht : Springer Netherlands : Imprint: Springer, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- XI, 606 pages 255 illustrations, 89 illustrations in color : digital
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Introduction -- Sapindaceae -- Sapotaceae -- Schisandraceae -- Solanaceae.-Thymelaeaceae -- Urticaceae -- Vitaceae -- Winteraceae -- Medical Glossary -- Scientific Glossary -- Common Name Index -- Scientific Name Index.
- This book continues as volume 6 of a multi-compendium on Edible Medicinal and Non-Medicinal Plants. It covers edible fruits/seeds used fresh, cooked or processed into other food products, or used as vegetables, spices, stimulants, edible oils and beverages. It covers selected species from the following families: Sapindaceae, Sapotaceae, Schisandraceae, Solanaceae, Thymelaeaceae, Urticaceae, Vitaceae and Winteraceae. The edible species dealt with in this work include to a larger extent lesser-known, wild and underutilized crops and also common and widely grown crops. To help in identification of the plant, edible parts and food products more than 150 coloured illustrations are included.As in the preceeding five volumes, topics covered include: taxonomy (botanical name and synonyms); common English and vernacular names; origin and distribution; agro-ecological requirements; edible plant parts and uses; plant botany; nutritive, medicinal and pharmacological properties with up-to-date research findings; traditional medicinal uses; other non-edible uses; and selected/cited references for further reading. This volume has separate indices for scientific and common names; and separate scientific and medical glossaries.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 9754241