Arab American literature and culture / Alfred Hornung, Martina Kohl (eds.).
- Heidelberg : Universitätsverlag Winter, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- vi, 299 pages : illustrations, maps ; 22 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Hornung, Alfred and Kohl, Martina
- Machine generated contents note: Challenges Facing the Arab American Community from a Legal Perspective / Ghada Quaisi Audi -- Muslim Americans in American Society and in the German Classroom / Rolf D. Theis -- Arab American Literature: Origins and Developments / Lisa Suhair Majaj -- Constructing Selfhood in Three Spaces: The Fluid Subjectivity Embodied in El-Saadawi's My Life / Yu Yuping -- Arab Americans in Literature and the Media / Mita Banerjee -- From Sheikh to Terrorist? Arab Characters in American Film / Gunther Sommerschuh -- "Yes, I will blow up this place, but first I have my coffee" Representations of Arab Americans in Post-9/11 American Films / Heike Raphael-Hernandez -- Amazing Acrobatics of Language' The Theatre of Yussef El Guindi / Anneka Esch-van Kan -- Arabian Dance in the Promised Land: Hyphenating Identity in Contemporary Arab(-)American Women's Literature / Silke Schmidt -- "Rowing for Palestine," Performing the Other Suheir Hammad, Mark Gerban and Multiple Consciousness / Birgit M. Bauridl -- "Fear of an Arab Planet": The Sounds and Rhythms of Afro-Arab Internationalism / Alex Lubin -- Global Diaspora Sphere---the Arab Experience: The Success Story of a Syrian Village / Anton Escher.
- This volume focuses on the literature and culture of Arabs living in the United States who have gained new prominence after 9/11. For a proper assessment of their situation it seeks to provide basic information on the history and transculturation of immigrants from different parts of the Arab world. The contributions, which result from a teacher training conference, present survey articles on Arab American literature, politics and immigration laws, a case study of the transnational network of Arab families, discussions of Arab American fiction, film, theatre and poetry. The articles also address issues of teaching new forms of this literature and culture in the EFL classroom. Photographs of American mosques document the distribution of Islamic centers of worship and their integration into the urban landscape across the United States.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 9755231