Scribes as agents of language change / edited by Esther-Miriam Wagner, Ben Outhwaite, Bettina Beinhoff
- Conference Author:
- Scribes as Agents of Language Change (Conference) (2011 : University of Cambridge)
- Boston : De Gruyter Mouton, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- viii, 328 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Wagner, Esther-Miriam
- Studies in language change, 2163-0992 ; v. 10
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Introduction / Bettina Beinhoff -- 1.Scribes and Language Change -- pt. II From spoken vernacular to written form / Mark A. Williams -- 2.Biblical Register and a Counsel of Despair: two Late Cornish versions of Genesis 1 / Markus Schiegg -- 3.Medieval Glossators as Agents of Language Change / Roger Wright -- 4.How scribes wrote Ibero-Romance before written Romance was invented / Anja Busse -- 5.Hittite scribal habits: Sumerograms and phonetic complements in Hittite cuneiform -- pt. III Standardisation versus regionalisation and de-standardisation / Terttu Nevalainen -- 6.Words of kings and counsellors: register variation and language change in early English courtly correspondence / Florian Dolberg -- 7.Quantifying gender change in Medieval English / Merja Stenroos -- 8.Identity and intelligibility in Late Middle English scribal transmission: local dialect as an active choice in fifteenth-century texts / Ben Outhwaite -- 9.Lines of communication: Medieval Hebrew letters of the eleventh century / Geoffrey Khan -- 10.The historical development of early Arabic documentary formulae / Nicholas Zair -- 11.Individualism in "Osco-Greek" orthography / Stefan Reif -- 12.How a Jewish scribe in early modern Poland attempted to alter a Hebrew linguistic register -- pt. IV Idiosyncracy, scribal standards and registers / Alexander Bergs -- 13.Writing, reading, language change - a sociohistorical perspective on scribes, readers, and networks in medieval Britain / Esther-Miriam Wagner -- 14.Challenges of multiglossia: scribes and the emergence of substandard Judaeo-Arabic registers / Ivar Berg -- 15.Variation in a Norwegian sixteenth-century scribal community / Dmitry Bondarev -- 16.Language change induced by written codes: a case of Old Kanembu and Kanuri dialects.
- 9781614510505 (hd.bd.)
- International conference proceedings.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9755358